questions about fixing underground pipe

ChewBiscuit

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 25, 2013
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hello!

I'm getting my pool started way late this year due to getting a fence destroyed by a storm fixed before opening. It's incredibly, incredibly green. :(

When I fired up the pump, water started flooding up from underground around where the return lines go into the ground. Questions:

1. Is it a safe assumption that the break is right where the water is coming up?
  2. Do I need to blow the lines out before cutting out the broken piece?
  3. Do I need to drain the pool below the returns or plug the lines before I start working?

Any advice is welcome. Thank you!

Before plugging or draining, I'd suggest start digging following the pipes to the pool. The break may not be close to the pad.

The reason I suggest not closing off the returns is it would then be very obvious when you get close to the leak. Hopefully it isn't under concrete!

Before plugging or draining, I'd suggest start digging following the pipes to the pool. The break may not be close to the pad.

The reason I suggest not closing off the returns is it would then be very obvious when you get close to the leak. Hopefully it isn't under concrete!

Ah, so my assumption in #1 is not all that safe. I REALLY hope it's not under concrete as well.

If I can find the break though, I take it I do need to plug the returns?

Thanks for the response!

suggestions in bold Blue

1. Is it a safe assumption that the break is right where the water is coming up?
    Yes - Water may travel a bit underground and come up elsewhere. But that's a good place to start digging and scope around.

2. Do I need to blow the lines out before cutting out the broken piece?
    I don't see why as long as you have a valve or a check valve where the equipment is. Do you have a "flooded" system? i.e. Is the equipment below the water line of the pool? That will affect question # 3...

3. Do I need to drain the pool below the returns or plug the lines before I start working?
    See question above. If a flooded system, then, yes, use a winter plug while you fix broken PVC

perfect. Like Charlie_R said then, dig without a plug in the pool. When you get close to the break you will see the water rushing out. At that point plug the return (using a winter plug) so you aren't digging out a muddy mess. Finishing digging out the area all around the break. Get the PVC good and clean and repair. Are you familiar with using PVC primer and cement? All good once you get to that point?

perfect. Like Charlie_R said then, dig without a plug in the pool. When you get close to the break you will see the water rushing out. At that point plug the return (using a winter plug) so you aren't digging out a muddy mess. Finishing digging out the area all around the break. Get the PVC good and clean and repair. Are you familiar with using PVC primer and cement? All good once you get to that point?

That makes sense. And yep, I'm golden once I get the break exposed.

Cool, thanks again for the advice!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.