Opening stand alone spa after 3 years

crk126

Jun 12, 2016
Syosset, NY
Here goes my first post.

I have been reading around this forum for about a year for pool care. It is great!

We inherited a 340 gal Saratoga Spa (Travers) in 2008 which I winterized in 2012. It has sat "empty" since Nov 2012.

Opened the cover for the 1st time this morning. There is about 6" of water that must have leaked in with a really nice black "organic" I assume algae growing in it!

Are there any good links to threads about reopening a standalone spa after a long time off. I suppose it will have multiple problems...ie motors, heater, plumping, valves, seals....But I figure it is time to turn it on or get it removed!

My thoughts were to dump liquid pool shock/Bleach into the tub..wait..and....then suck whatever is in the button out with a wet/dry vac (don't want to run that garbage thru any spa pipes.) Then fill and test if the motors, heater and plumbing (are not leaking) are still functioning. It sits against my house..so I can't have 340gal of water leak out against my houses foundation. Then maybe a fill, run and dump with high levels of liquid pool shock (Concerned about organics in the pipes, motor or heater.) I was also thinking a good scrub down with liquid bleach and water, couldn't hurt.

Once it is cleaned up I plan on going back to a bromine tub.

Any thoughts?

I'd clean out the gunk, then just put some water in it to test the various pieces and parts. Not worrying about any chemicals at this point. Then follow on below..

I'm going to be following this decontamination technique over the next few days. I'd think it would be good for your situation too.

Then after that, follow up with the 3 step bromine method that it stickied here.

At least thats my plan, and sounds like you're somewhat in the same place, just its been sitting much longer than the one i'm starting to get up and running.

I want to thank this forum for all the good advice and posts that got my hot tub back and running.

3 day decontamination and the water is crystal clear and holding perfect chemistry.

FC- 13
CC - 0
pH - 7.6
TA - 70
CH - 150
CYA - 8-10 (based on dichlor applications)

Should have cya up to 20-30 with dichlor and then to bleach. Obviously, I decided to toss the bromine and go chlorine.

Thanks again.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Can someone tell me if this is normal?

24 hours:
FC: 8 (loss of 5)
Cc: .5 (increase .5)
Ph 7.6
Temp: 100 ( increase over night from 60)
Ch: 150

Should I dichlor it back upto 10 or try and hold it at 6?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.