Screwed up the pool before we even used it

Jul 31, 2011
Galloway, NJ
I had a popup pool a few years ago and never really got the hang of the chemicals. I really thought that this time would be different, but it's not. I have a 18X48 that we just finished filling yesterday. I do have well water. (That's why it took so long to fill. I didn't want to run the well pump continuously.)

I only have a cheapo 3 way testing kit until my full kit comes in. I added HTH shock last night. Woke up this morning to a greenish-yellow pool. Chlorine tests at 5 and pH is at 7.2. I'm so lost and I don't even know what I'm looking at in the PoolMath section, because there are so many sections that I don't even have answers for.

What do I do to fix this? Can we swim in it now?

Thank you. So I just buy the sequestrant and add it? Are the other numbers (chlorine 5 and pH 7.2) ok to swim in? And how fast does the sequestrant work?

Sorry, I'm just dealing with disappointed kids this morning. And frankly, I'm mad at myself.

If it took a long time to fill the green can be due to lack of circulation too. Don't just simply add the agent recommended by ckk81, have the water tested (as he said) to be sure that's part of the issue. Tell the pool store you have all the other chemicals you need at home if they say you need anything else. Make sure you run the pump 24 hrs a day until it clears. Once the chlorine kills, that debris needs to be filtered out of the pool. Also you will likely need to clean the filter more than once per day.

Hooray! I am glad that worked.

Just a sobering reminder....the iron is still there and it will turn your pool again as the sequestrant "wears out". You'll need to replenish the sequestrant when that happens.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.