SW Chicago/IL
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We just finished out pool installation and our PB suggested that we put an enzyme pack in the skimmer every couple of weeks. He said that he has seen filter cartridges get destroyed due to heavy lotion use and that the enzyme help prevent that. Not that we are heavy lotion users, but I already have several packs of these. I was just wondering if these can hurt anything, or if anyone has any experience using them.

Thanks.

If you don't have heavy sunscreen users or lots of bathers with sunscreen, it's not likely an issue. I would try using a product like scum balls (Amazon.com : Horizon Ventures HVSB2PK 2-Pack Pool/Spa Scum Eliminating Reusable Scum Ball : Swimming Pool And Spa Supplies : Patio, Lawn Garden) in your skimmer before using enzyme products (especially before buying more), IF you're seeing scum/oil build ups at the water line. I don't think it will hurt anything to try it if you see a scum build up, but I don't think I've ever seen it in my pool. In my hot tub... sure.

I will keep an eye out for scum build up or if we are planning on having a large party. I have a dozen or so of them, so I will just plan on using them as needed since I have them. I just wanted to make sure I was not going to cause any other problems using them. I don't plan on buying any more. Thanks!

It sounds like your have a PB who just might understand Pool Water Chemistry. They are few and far between.

No harm in using them but I'm not sure I would. They are not really preventative, so you are taking medicine when you are not sick

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.