Filter cartridge

Sep 25, 2015
Minneola, FL
What's the average life span of a filter cartridge? Pool store said every year, mines 4 years old starting to show signs of wear. I know enough by reading forum pool stores are evil.. ok maybe not evil but definitely want you and your money to part ways.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Is the pool store trying to sell you a new one? That might explain their recommendation.

I only use cartridge filters in stand alone spas and have had them last well past five years if cleaned regularly and taken care of. In my current spa I purchased a second filter on line and swap them back and forth.

We generally advise to take most recommendations from pool stores with a grain of salt. They are in the position of giving advice that may be financially beneficial to themselves so there is always that conflict of interest to worry about.

After 5 years I bought a new set of cartridges thinking they were nearing the end of their life. Well here I am in my 11th season and I still use the originals. They are not torn, and they still filter fine. I like having the extra set on hand so I can interchange them if I want to do a long thorough clean of one set while not having to rush to get them back in the filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes you may.. 145.99

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Less than I thought it would be. The Pleatco replacement is $133 on Amazon, so they are not totally gouging you considering their overhead to keep the lights on.

But, back to the original question, no they do not need to be replaced every year. As long as your pressures are good and there are no tears in the filter than no need to replace.

As I stated (confirmed by Mike & Bobby) having a second filter and swapping them out is not a bad idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.