How to tell if Filter is actually doing anything

May 31, 2016
Lynchburg, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I have been running my pump & filter 24/7 for like approx 2 months. I started SLAM 3 days ago. When I check my skimmer basket it seldom has much of anything in it except for when I vacuumed. MAJOR algae issue, been following SLAM but I seldom see pressure gauge go up much either. I backwashed just before starting SLAM to help ensure starting with a clean filter. I've seen video's online where when looking at the skimmer basket you can see the water almost in a vortex like when you pull the plug on a tub. Mine I can just barely see anything moving down the pipe.

PSI on gauge is like 12ish & sand was just put in when I got the pump & filter this yr. Bought 50lbs sand from the pool store. I was reading about [h=1]Zeobest Sand Filter Media. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff in place of sand?[/h]

Change your multiport valve (on filter) to recirculate and write down pressure reading, then switch back to filter and write down gauge reading. Feel the return jet pressure when recirculating and again while filtering. Also, look in your skimmer basket to see if the suction is any stronger in recirc than filter. This may tell you if there's something wrong the filter, i.e. channeled sand or with the multiport valve, i.e. bad spider gasket.

With the pump off (be sure it won't turn on either) place your hand in the pump basket and try to feel the pump impeller. Sometimes with a dirty pool debris can partially block the impeller reducing the flow and subsequently the pressure. Note - Only turn the multiport valve with the pump off and turn in one direction only - this limits damage to the gasket. Most folks go clockwise.

Lastly, a sand filter will not really filter out live algae. Keep you slam up and it will clear sooner than later.

OK, so I am guessing my Bypass to pool is recirculate. Reading on gauge was about 9-9.5 & at the return OMG there was a HUGE difference in the pressure of the water coming out much more. On filter the gauge showed about 10.5-11 & the return pressure was MUCH lower, still very noticeable to the touch but nowhere near what Bypass to Pool was. I couldn't really tell any difference at the skimmer. After removing the pump basket & feeling around in there as much as I could, I couldn't feel anything blocking anything but pressure gauge went to a definite 12 on filter & the return felt closer to what the bypass to pool felt but still not quite the same. I'm still very curious about that Zeobest Sand Filter Media, it's supposed to clean down to 4-8 microns & use 1/2 as much volume so 50 lbs of sand gets replaced with 25 lbs of this stuff. I found it on backyardcitypools.com

So after you removed the basket and felt the impeller your pressure increased to 12 AND the flow felt similar that when on bypass right? This would only happen if the pump is pushing more water thru the filter than it was just before when it was on filter at 10.5 lbs. So you either did clear something from the impeller (without feeling it) or the pump basket was too dirty.

I would keep it going to see how it does and plan to do a deep clean of the filter soon.

I don't have any experience with the zeobest, but use the search in the top right. There's a few posts about it. Hope they help.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have used the Zeobest filter medium. I haven't noticed any difference that warrants the extra cost. I'm thinking about going back to sand next year. I have a 24' above ground pool with a Hayward sand filter and a 1 hp pump. Hope this helps.
I'm looking for solar cover reel info. I have a heavy cover which really helps to keep the heat in at night. However, I also have a fence around the pool that is only 3' from the pool. The fence is over 5' high. I did have a roller but I couldn't swimmer it and I'm no longer strong enough to lift it onto the fence when using the pool. I have thought about cutting it into 1/4ths so that I could just roll it by hand. ANY THOUGHTS OUT THERE that would get the cover off and on easier? Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.