Gauge pressure slowly decreased to 0 (new pump & filter)

Jul 17, 2014
Cleveland, OH
Hey everyone,

So I just bought a brand new Hayward Xstream cartridge filter/pump system. After setting up and turned on, it was reading a healthy 12 psi. However, I checked on it every hour or so and each time I noticed the pressure was a little less, before bed it was around 9. Then, when I woke up it was at 0. The basket is full of water, no visible air pockets, good flow on the outlet in the pool, air valve bled, and the pump noise sounds the same so I am at a loss here. The only thing is we have 1 or 2 very small leaks on the fitting between the pump and filter connection (1-2 drops a second or so) that I was going to deal with today after work.

This is my first time setting up a new system, our house came with the old pump/filter.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

If the return flow is just as strong as when you started, I would suspect the gauge. Normally falling pressure indicates the skimmer or pump basket is clogged.

Thanks, I shot the company an email too, I really don't want to flip the bill myself for a new gauge on a new filter if that's the case. :) These original gauges are expensive ($25) for this thing. Not sure if there are good, cheaper generics.

The water is doing o.k., it was green before last night since the old filter system wasn't cleaning the water properly (damaged/cracked housing). But today it looks how I would expect on a good pump, medium cloudy but blue (shocked last night too).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.