New Liner - Please help w/what to adjust first

Jul 29, 2012
I've been a pool owner for almost 26 years, but have only been using the TFP method for the past 2.5 years, so this is my first time starting from scratch w/TFP. We just replaced our liner and I would really appreciate some help on what to tackle first. The pool is filled to a few inches below the skimmer; the installer is coming back tomorrow to cut & install the skimmer. I have a bottom drain so I have been able to start the filter. It's been running for a few hrs now. The water is a lovely rusty brown (well water, we have no other option). At this point, I've only added one bottle of TLC Super Stain Out (supposed to be good for 20k gal). I'm sure it will need a few more bottles and lots of vacuuming and backwashing. I will take a sample into the pool store for the metals test once it looks clear to be sure.

Here are the results of a test I ran before adding the Stain Out:
Ph - 7.7
TA - 425 (yes it's really 425 - I tested 2x)
CH - 440

I didn't bother testing FC, CC, CYA or Borates, as I haven't added any yet. I know I need to take care of the metals, add CYA and chlorine, and get the TA down, but I'm not sure what order to tackle them or if I can work on more than one at a time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated ... TIA

Well, we know you need stabilizer and some FC in there to prevent an algae bloom. So for CYA you want at least a minimum of 30.
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.
For the first day, just keep your FC at about 2-3 ppm. After that, you can increase to about 4-5. This is the point when you may see a reaction between metal and chlorine. If you haven't done so already, once your skimmer is operational, use that (with batting, paper towels, etc) to try and absorb as much iron as you can before it precipitates out with the chlorine. Your metal treatment may effect that as well, but it's good to try. Check the instructions on that iron product, but I believe you need to watch pH so it doesn't get too high. A lower pH coupled with modest FC should help when it comes to color changes and/or staining depending upon the amount of iron.

As you know from your area TA is high in your fill water. You'll be using the TFP Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page for a while to lower that over time. Hope that helps get you started. Have a nice day.

Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.