Pool Not Holding Chlorine

Jun 14, 2016
Orlando, FL
Greetings all,

I am a pool newbie and am having some issues. I hope it's something I'm not overlooking but I don't know where else to turn. Here is a synopsis. Pool was finished in November and everything has been fine until a couple of weeks ago.

Long story short. Things were all good. Had a pool party and things went downhill. Pool would not hold chlorine. Tested water, nada. Tested water at return line, nada. Figured out there was a phosphate issue. Did the phos treatment and put liquid chlorine in the pool as to not lose the pool. Pool would hold chlorine but it is gradually declining even though the generator is on 100% and or BOOST. Chlorine generator is working fine after performing a bucket test as per the manufacturer. Pool looks great. No algae or anything in the pool that I can see and the salt cell is clean as a whistle. Here are the readings on my pool as of today and Equipment being used.

Pool: 13,000 gallons
Pool Temp: 94-95 degrees (100% sunlight)
Chlorine Generator: SGS Breeze 540 (40,000 gallons)
FC: 1.5
pH: 7.6
Alk: 110
Stab: 60
Calcium: 375
Nitrate: 5
Phosphate: 300
Salt: 3500 (manufacturer states don't go under 3k but works best between 4k-4500)

I am just baffled as is every other pool store around here. Any ideas?

Ronnie

Hello Ronnie and welcome to TFP! :wave: TFP is all about 100% pool owner care which starts with your own testing. The pool store tests above really don't give us much to go on since they are most likely inaccurate. Not your fault, just the way they are most of the time. Your best bet is to acquire a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. Please see the TF-100 link below for info.

Your water is most likely struggling due to low chlorine and not properly balanced with your CYA. To fix this you need to "SLAM" your pool (link below) using one of those recommended test kits to test FC at levels higher than most local stores sell.

So please start there and let us know if you have any more questions. Once we can get a look at your own test results from one of those kits, we can show you have to fix this problem for good. Nice to have you with us.

Hello Ronnie and welcome to TFP! :wave: TFP is all about 100% pool owner care which starts with your own testing. The pool store tests above really don't give us much to go on since they are most likely inaccurate. Not your fault, just the way they are most of the time. Your best bet is to acquire a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. Please see the TF-100 link below for info.

Your water is most likely struggling due to low chlorine and not properly balanced with your CYA. To fix this you need to "SLAM" your pool (link below) using one of those recommended test kits to test FC at levels higher than most local stores sell.

So please start there and let us know if you have any more questions. Once we can get a look at your own test results from one of those kits, we can show you have to fix this problem for good. Nice to have you with us.

I was just about to send an update when you sent this. After reading several other posts I figured out that's what I needed to do. All test kits have been ordered. In the meantime, I will just keep adding a little liquid chlorine and testing with the test strips I have until everything comes in. As you can see, I too got suckered into the pool store circle of death. :(

Hi! I also got suckered in and just ordered my test kit too. I can't help but wanted to let you know that I have the same system.... Breeze. I'm having the exact same problem. I'm also questioning the amount of salt because the manual does recommend 4000 - 4500. Im waiting for my kit to so I can post my results. But I wonder if we both need more salt?

I don't think so. As long as it's over 3k I think we are ok. I spent about an hour on the phone with TJ from SGS today and he was more than patient with me walking me through different tests/troubleshooting. Based on the forums here it just sounds like the pool needs to be slammed to get it back to where the chlorinator can keep up. Right now liquid chlorine is my band aid until my test kit comes in. Sad part is, not one pool store around me seems to know what the heck they are talking about. Everything on here makes so much sense to me. Just need the tools to wrap my head around this and I'm not looking back.

Yep, if you exclusively come here for your information and let it soak in over time, YOU will be the pool expert in town. Guaranteed. And much better off for it. Fatter wallet and more time to enjoy your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.