Jun 1, 2016
London, Ky
OK here we go! New pool owner....23000 gallons filling up (day 2 lol) as we speak. Almost full! So my best understanding is to run pump for about an hour after it reaches correct fill point. Then I'm supposed to test (only have strips given with pool until better tester arrives friday.) At this point do I just add bleach and stabilizer? According to calculator that would be about 95oz of 6% bleach correct? and 31oz stabilizer? No "slamming" needed right?

• gallons 23000
  • ABG
  • sand filter
  • filled with city water

I know these are incredibly basic questions, but I'm just not processing all this info as well as i probably should. Hoping i understand better than i think and just suffering from lack of confidence lol

Yeah, the learning curve is steep, though. You'll be tuned in quicker than you think.

Post your test results on Friday. Don't even bother with the strips....we don't really trust them.

Turn you pump on as soon as the water gets high enough. Run it 12 hours a day to start.

You are right! No SLAMming!!

Yes, for now until you post your results with the good kit, you will only add FC and stabilizer.

Using pool math, take your FC to about 4 ppm.

Right behind that 10-15 minutes, please add enough stabilizer to get to 30 ppm.

That should hold you until your good kit gets here. Post back if you can't test on Friday.....you'll need more chlorine.

This site is such an awesome resource for us newbies!
Nice words, Thank you.

Our focus is really on the newbies. The idea is to teach the basics, get your pool crystal clear, and, along the way, teach you to manage your own pool. TFP is not a method with trick chemicals, it is developing an understanding of your pool water chemistry so when you make a change, your results will be very predictable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.