Intermatic Timer ON OFF Manual switch not working

Mar 28, 2016
Austin
I left my Intermatic Timer open during a rainstorm and now the manual timer on off switch does not work. The GFCI tripped at the breaker so I assume there was a short with the water. Now, The pump is always on and I have to switch the breaker to turn pump off.

I removed the timer dial and sprayed contact cleaner and moved switch back and forth. No luck after doing that. Is the switch repairable or does it need to be replaced?

Thanks

Pull the circuit board out of the plastic housing, there should be tabs on both sides holding it in. Watch the contacts as you switch it on and off. That'll tell you if the contacts are welded.

If the motor isn't shutting off when mechanically turned off, the contacts are stuck together, and you won't see any contacts opening when you switch it on and off. If you can open the contacts (pry them apart) without bending the contact arms, and then reface the contacts, you might be able to bring it back. Refacing the contacts would be necessary to keep the same thing from happening again but no guarantee. One the contacts get roughed up either by welding or sanding, they are likely to stick again, especially if a lot of amperage is drawn across them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.