New to Pool Ownership

Good afternoon everyone.

I am new to pool ownership and pool water maintenance. I have set up my Intex 15' x 48" pool this past weekend and filled it with water. I had an Intex SWG on order so I was able to get 80 pounds of salt into the pool on Sunday night and run the included intex cartridge filter (1000gph) for 24 hours. Last night I connected the SWG and ran for 6 hours (Recommended Time by Intex) however I have yet to add (I have bought) CYA.

I have some questions to get us going and my kids in the pool.

1. How do I add CYA to an Intex pool? The CYA can says to add directly to the filter and Intex says no...
2. I have the following numbers for my water as of 6:30 this morning with the included Salt Water Test Strips from Intex:
FC: about 1
pH: 6.2
TA: between 40 and 80
Calcium Hardness: 0
Are these numbers okay for the family to swim in? How do I go about fixing the pH and CH? Intex says no other chemicals other than the salt and CYA because it could damage the pump.

Please note that the water looks clear :) I guess that is a start.

Thanks to all responders

When they say "suspend", they don't want it touching the edge of the pool - CYA is pretty acidic and might cause some damage. I've seen folks use their telepoles and other ingenious setups to dangle the sock. I ended up putting the sock in my skimmer and massaged the sock in my hands to speed up the dissolving. Make sure you're running your pump constantly until the CYA is fully dissolved.

Great!

Thanks for the quick replies about getting the CYA setup. I will do that this evening.

I checked the numbers on my pool again just now and the numbers are the same as the previous post.

Can anyone suggest if a pH of 6.2 and a Calcium hardness of 0 is okay for the kids to swim in?

Any suggestions on how to raise these numbers?

Thanks again to everyone!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.