Which Metal Sequestrant

smuggs

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 10, 2007
Gloucester County, NJ
So, I'm not sure if this is the right section of the forum, but here goes....

I've been using Jack's Magic Blue as my sequestrant of choice. I'm using BBB with an LQ with my water chemistry maintained in the following range:

FC: 5-7
PH: 7.5
ALK: 70
CA: 290
CYA: 50

I use sequestrant because I filled the pool with my well water and use this same water (un softened) to replenish. I know that there is iron in the water, but don't know how much at this point....I plan to have my fill water and pool water tested at the PS for iron this weekend, if I can get over there. My question is this, are there less expensive sequestrants that will work just as well for my iron issue and that won't sequester my calcium?

All sequestrants act on calcium to some extent. You want one that is more active for metals, but none of them will ignore calcium completely.

You can find many other brands with very similar products, some of which are noticeably less expensive. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are by far the most effective. The best way to find out how well they work is to try them on your pool.

Calcium is a metal and as such is going to be sequestered by a metal sequesterant. Unless a sequesterant is sold specifically as a calcium hardness reducer it will have a higher chelaition index for iron and/or copper but it's still going to have some effect on the calcium. Usually it's not enough to really make that much of a difference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.