Spa plumbing question

sabin1

Oct 26, 2015
Niceville, FL
First time poster and first time pool owner. This is an outstanding site and I look forward to using it quite a bit as a new pool owner. My pool is under construction right now and I have a question about the plumbing for my raised 8 foot spa with 6 jets. I have 3 inch pvc pipe coming from the spa drains going to the pump where it reduces down to 2 inches to go through the pump, filter and heater and then the builder has planned (not done yet) 2 inch pvc pipe back to the spa which is 90 feet from the equipment pad. My question is should I increase the return pipe size after the heater to 3 inch pipe like the suction. Builder states I wouldn't gain much since 2 inch is running through the pump, filter and heater. I am very new to this and have researched this for multiple days and can't seem to figure out what is the best option.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Larger pipe lowers head loss, this is more pronounced on the suction side. It would certainly not hurt to run the larger pipe from the spa return valve to the spa (which is a long distance) and then reduce back to 2" in the gunite if required.

Doing so will allow you to run the pump a little slower (saving power) and still have adequate flow rate for the jets.

But, builder is right it likely will not make a huge noticeable difference since you are able to dial in your pump speed.

Thanks for the quick response. Would I get the same results running two 2 inch lines in parallel instead of one 3 inch line from the spa return valve to the spa which will reduce to 2 inches in the gunite at the spa. Also, does the larger pipe help to heat the spa quicker. Thanks

Pipe size will not have any impact on the heating rate.

You generally do not want the return pipes to be larger than the suction pipes. Two 2" pipes is slightly less cross-sectional area than One 3" pipe, so that would be fine (and maybe cheaper for the material too). If you do that, have them feed the jets on opposites sides of the loop.

Thanks for all the info. The gunite has already been put in so no option of feeding the jets on opposite sides of the loop. I had the builder change and put in the 3 inch drain in the spa right before the gunite was put in. So I will have a 3 inch suction line to the pump, and 2 inch return line to the spa with a 2hp blower going through it's own 2 inch line. I was just concerned with the 90 foot run from the equipment to the spa, but it sounds like I will be OK. They are running the rest of the long plumbing in a couple of days so now would be the time to change it if needed. Is there any value added in running the two 2 inch lines in parallel if they just combine before the spa and go into one 2 inch line that feeds all 6 jets? Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.