Armor Shield or Gorilla = no sand?

G

I did not want to hijack the foam cove versus sand discussion and thought about this.

If you use the cove kits and an Armor shield or Gorilla pad for the base, do you still need sand as the base?

I know the sand is to provide a smooth, level surface to protect the liner, but with these new pad do you still need to do the sand? Or is there a structural reason for the use of sand?

Hi, my biggest problem with pool pads is that they are so thin. Every lump, bump and rock under the pad will show through when the weight of the water is on it. Using sand is a way to create a smooth base for the pad. The problem with that is it takes so much work to get the pads adjusted and taped into place and lot of footprints wind up in the sand. When the pool is full you see everyone of them. When using sand you would want a very thin layer of hard packed sand.

The best jobs I have done using pool pads have been either on concrete or in pools that have been up for a few years. After a few years of being under that much water the hard packed sand surface is ideal to work on.

When I am not using a sand base the option I like best are the 4 x 8 sheets of Styrofoam. A foam base, anywhere from 1 to 2 inches thick, and preformed pool cove around the edge makes an ideal bottom. It is easy to get smooth and very comfy on the feet.

Since the cove will go on top of the foam sheets, be sure to get the sticky back kind, and not the kind with the hard plastic for mounting into the bottom track. Anytime you have a track to work with I much prefer the hard plastic backed, more expensive, kind. Just not over foam where the track has been covered.

Dennis

PS I know a lot of people that opened up there Gorilla pad and immediately sent it back, they said it was nothing more than a heavy piece of fabric. The times that I have used it it has been next to impossible to get it to lay out smooth. It seems to be packed full of creases that won't go away. I have been much more impressed with other types of pads.

You know I asked the question about using a concrete pad for the base last year and was basically told that it was not a good idea for a base.

Do you do concrete bases for AGP? If so, how level does it have to be? Is there any way to adjust for slight imperfections? Or is this where a base such as the foam comes in handy?

Hi, I have never done concrete work, as in pouring a slab for a pool to sit on. I have, however, installed hundreds of pools on slabs. With some preformed pool cove and a pool pad it can be a very nice set up. For the pad I have used carpet pad, indoor - outdoor carpet, pool pads and a few other things.

If the pad is being poured for the pool there is no reason why it can't be perfectly flat and level. Most concrete people have ways of doing that.

We contracted with a store once that had an asphalt parking lot the set displays on ever year. This lot was way off level. We would shim the pool with standard house shingles and then use a lot of extra sand on the low sides. We never had a problem in all the years we did that.

later, Dennis

I'm kind of in the same boat! I have a naturally sandy base- from what I'm reading I should replace sand between posts with a compact base-yes/no? If so- how deep and wide? I'm getting different opinions- yes I know the old saying...

By leaving sand "compacted" will I risk washout or can that be solved by a berm or plastic/fabric combo around perimeter on the outside?

As for a base- I'm going over my existing sand with 1" blue foam- I was going to form a sand cove, but now rethinking foam- If foam do I need to tape between each piece over seam?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.