Solar Panel Repairs - "stents" INSTEAD of plugs or glue?

NWMNMom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2007
Waaay NW MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Well again we are repairing solar panels - it seems every year there is a new pinhole, crimp, slice, pinch or whatever. We have glued with some minor success, but once we roll them up for the winter and remove to install in the spring, the last year's glue job is now coming off and we start over and add a few more.

Earlier while Googling, I saw a YT video with a gentleman fixing with insert connectors, rather than plugging or glue - anyone think this will work with the poly panels commonly used for our pools? They were 1/4" double barbed Rainbird connectors for irrigation/sprinkler systems, etc. Like a stent for a blocked artery! Looked relatively easy. I noticed that the "repair" kits sold by Fafco use 1/4" plugs. Will these fit the ID of our FAFCO panels? Mine are Solar Bears 4x20 - I have two of them running parallel on a standing rack system alongside the pool with hard plumbing (pvc) to/from the pool. We have had them for many years so I admit we've gotten a lot of use from them but from spring #1 following purchase, we've been fixing them. Too spendy to replace every danged year!

There is really no glue that works on the solar panels.

I have always just cut the tube and put plugs in them. If the sprinkler fittings are big enough, that might work pretty well.

I'm hoping the 1/4" fittings work - ordering from Amazon today! I'll let you know. If not, back to plugging and gluing. Ugh.

I have used the 1/4 inch barbed connectors and even 1/4 inch tubing between 2 barbed connectors for a year now on my Craigslist Helicol panels. Must be 20 or 30 of them and they work great. A little dish soap and hot sun or a hair dryer makes the connection way easier.
YMMV
Robert

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Re: Solar Panel Repairs - "stents" INSTEAD of plugs or glue?

I have used the 1/4 inch barbed connectors and even 1/4 inch tubing between 2 barbed connectors for a year now on my Craigslist Helicol panels. Must be 20 or 30 of them and they work great. A little dish soap and hot sun or a hair dryer makes the connection way easier.
YMMV
Robert

And in all the posts and YouTube vidoes, I have never seen it mentioned. I thought I was a genius [emoji1] but really just bought bad panels and I am cheap.

No joy. They didn't work. We are leaking. We even reverted to the old "screws" plugs, but one of those is also leaking. It's not rivers but enough to annoy me. We are swimming regardless.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.