Hotel Pool Water Testing Observation

smuggs

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 10, 2007
Gloucester County, NJ
So, I was at a local large chain business hotel ("CY") working out in the gym this morning....pool is right in front of me through the windows. In walks the maintenance guy with a couple small taylor bottles with yellow and red caps and a test block from a k-2005 kit. He kneels over to get some water from the top of the pool into the test block and adds the requisite number of "yellow" drops from one bottle. Seeing that he never put in any powder to the test block, I'm assuming he's using a simple DPD test....but he never adds the second reagent to see if there is any CC....he just checks for TC....WOW. After checking the color really quickly, he dumps the contents back in the water. He does this with the "yellow" and with the "red".....double WOW. I wonder how much other "stuff" has been dumped into that pool.

reebok said:
why is pouring the tested water in the pool bad? I don't do it anymore cause of the threads I read on here, but I don't know why it's so bad.
because it's lazy and sloppy and CPOs are taught not to do it. Plus both DPD and OTO are suspected carcinogens (althought the small amount used in testing really poses no threat).

I look at it the same as throwing trash on the ground. It's a lot faster and easier than looking for a proper trash can but it's just not the thing to do.

(Then again there are those that pee in their pool and don't think anything of it either!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.