New Pool Build Frisco, TX

I'm trying to decide whether I'm going to sod, use pavers, rubber mulch, or synthetic turf between the back wall and the fence. What do you guys think?

(I realized my question got buried in the post - but I'd like your input - so I moved it here to it's own separate reply.)

I would not use rubber mulch, you will spend half your time getting it out of pool once the dogs see how much fun it is to dig in! LOL Synthetic turf might be a great idea, dogs can do their business and it is easy to clean. I think if you use sod when you mow it you will get clippings in pool and when it gets wet it might get muddy.

I would not use rubber mulch, you will spend half your time getting it out of pool once the dogs see how much fun it is to dig in! LOL Synthetic turf might be a great idea, dogs can do their business and it is easy to clean. I think if you use sod when you mow it you will get clippings in pool and when it gets wet it might get muddy.

Thanks, that all makes sense. Its an easement but i thought about laying my own pavers as an alternative too. I know i might have to take them up at some point but still, i think the long term zero maintenance ideas are best. I think fake grass requires the same prep as pavers, but one or the other is probably the answer. Anyone done synthetic turf?

Project day 14, they came in the afternoon and installed the waterline tile. Doesn't look like they're coming back until next week. Doesn't seem like a lot to show for a weeks time, honestly, but I guess that's the way this goes. Hopefully I'll have a lot to see next week and they just start knocking this project out of the park for us!

Day 18 - the Stone Work Begins 06/28/2016

Day 19 - Stone Work Continues 06/29/2016

So I'm not particularly excited about the "Granbury Chop" stone selection, but it does lend a native Texas look and feel to the finish work. I would do it with a stacked stone if timing were not an issue and selection options would have available at the pool office vs having to go to the vendor directly and learn how many great options were there in a similar price range. Lesson learned, late, like always.

I think it's coming together nicely though and the end product will be nice. I'm really looking forward to the decking portion of this project.

They're on day 3 of the stone work today for the pool itself and they should be done this afternoon. Plumbing tomorrow (hopefully) and electric either tomorrow or the beginning of next week. I've got my fingers crossed, and I really want the deck started or done. After 3 weeks of muddy dog paws we're both a little sick of daily mopping lol.

More pictures when the stone masons leave today!

It's coming along very nicely! I really like that tile, it goes well with everything.

as for the stone at the vendors. I realized all the vendors were basically at 635 and Royal Lane, once I realized this I just hit them up one day. Pretty amazing to find all these options for the same price that the pool builders don't even know about. LOL

Day 20 - 06/30/2016 - It looks like they finished the stone work and coping and have trenched out for the plumbing to begin tomorrow. Then it should be electric, pre-deck inspection, and decking.

It's going to look nice when it's done I think. The waterline tile really is nice but it needs to have all the dried grout and funk cleaned off of it to make it really shine. It has a lot of neat color variation in it. I'm *hoping* that the builder does the plumbing AND electric tomorrow and puts it in for inspection Saturday or Monday before the holidays. We'll see what happens lol

They did some pretty decent damage to our driveway with the track hoe, not the first time but round two when they had to muck out all the mud from the collapse. I don't think that's going to be covered. Also, the rear beam width is about 3-4" wider on one end than the other - probably from the form reset after the collapse on day 2. It looks really awkward and I definitely want the site manager to look at it. It's skim coated but it looks bizarre to me.

Looks great! How big is the spa? How many jets did you get?

Spa size on paper is 7 x 7 but I think it might be a little bigger outer dimension and a little smaller than that inside. 6 jets, 2 on a slightly lower level bench inside. I think I'm underestimating the value of that spa right now, it might be the favorite grown up feature we put into this.

If I wanted them to install an umbrella holder into the gunite on the sunshelf, does that have to be rebarred into place or is that something they can still do before the plaster phase comes along? I also wish I would have put a riser in the gunite on the sunshelf corner for a post to a covered patio so we could have done that later.

Is it normal to want to change everything when it's too late? I'd definitely use a builder that does 3D modeling next time.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but I'm not a fan of umbrella sleeves. The sun changes position constantly throughout the day and more gradually throughout the year. The chances of a person spotting an umbrella sleeve in the EXACT location where it will do some good are pretty slim, even if you did a year long mapping of how the sun crosses your property.

I will buy one or two cantilevered umbrellas with the wheeled-base counterweight. I know they're kind of clunky, but you CAN move them to suit your situation as needed. Those sail-shaped cloth shades are pretty cool if you have something to mount them to. My HOA doesn't like them though . . .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but I'm not a fan of umbrella sleeves. The sun changes position constantly throughout the day and more gradually throughout the year. The chances of a person spotting an umbrella sleeve in the EXACT location where it will do some good are pretty slim, even if you did a year long mapping of how the sun crosses your property.

I will buy one or two cantilevered umbrellas with the wheeled-base counterweight. I know they're kind of clunky, but you CAN move them to suit your situation as needed. Those sail-shaped cloth shades are pretty cool if you have something to mount them to. My HOA doesn't like them though . . .

Thanks - I think a couple quality cantilever umbrellas is a lot more economical for what we need. The sunbrella wedge things are cool too - I guess I could probably figure out some easy solid mounting points too - I'll have to look into that. Shade is shade and I'm OVER throwing money at this build for now lol

Day 21 - 07/01/2016 - The plumbers came and set up the equipment on the pad, ran all the plumbing underneath where the paver deck will be, and charged it up to pressure test the new stuff. I noticed that the bottom fitting of the chlorinator was leaking slowing, and so did the plumbers, but apparently they're going to fix that on the next trip out and it won't affect inspection.

Not much to look at, but under the surface it was a lot.

Day 25 - 07/05/2016 - The electricians came this morning and spent a few hours running the lines and controls for everything. They also set the LED pool and spa lights in place. What's weird, we were paying for Hayward ColorLogic 4.0 lights, or at least that's what in the brochure we got when we started this adventure, but the ones they installed are the Hayward Colorlogic 320's. Very small, and I think they are flush mount lights intended to be used with landscape / water feature lighting. So no niche, rings, or lenses outside of the little circle stuffed in the end of the pipe. It sort of caught me off guard as I was expecting to see something else.

Has anyone had any good experiences with these types of lights before?

Anyway, here's our forward progress for the day.

Day 25 - 07/05/2016 - The electricians came this morning and spent a few hours running the lines and controls for everything. They also set the LED pool and spa lights in place. What's weird, we were paying for Hayward ColorLogic 4.0 lights, or at least that's what in the brochure we got when we started this adventure, but the ones they installed are the Hayward Colorlogic 320's. Very small, and I think they are flush mount lights intended to be used with landscape / water feature lighting. So no niche, rings, or lenses outside of the little circle stuffed in the end of the pipe. It sort of caught me off guard as I was expecting to see something else.

Has anyone had any good experiences with these types of lights before?

You need to mention this to the PB and show him why you thought you were getting the other lights.

Looking great! Very exciting I'm sure.
One thing your PB cheaped on a bit are those blue handled valves. They will get hard to turn and crack long before a Jandy Neverlube valve will.
I don't have any experience with the Hayward 320's. However, if my Googling is correct, they are 23 watts vs 95 watts for a ColorLogic 4.0 light. Seeing that they are much smaller, it would seem reasonable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.