Solar Blanket: Which one works best.

I was interested in the reasoning used to arrive at the conclusion that the color mattered and that dark was bad and light was good. If that reasoning held why wasn't a CLEAR cover recommended?

Multiple people DID say that clear covers were the best for heating. If you want maximum heating of the pool then you do want a clear well-insulated (such as bubble-type) cover because this lets most of the sunlight into the pool to heat it deeply (i.e. not just at the surface). The downside of such a cover is that if it also lets UV through (not just visible and infrared), then chlorine breaks down as it would if you had no cover.

There are some that promote a black cover for heating, but for this to work at all the black has to be on the underside of the cover where the cover touches the water while the top side of the cover above the insulation layer must be clear. However, while this situation prevents chlorine loss from sunlight, it also ends up heating from the surface of the pool so you need good circulation near the pool surface to distribute the heat throughout the pool. Otherwise, it is not as efficient since the hotter pool surface temperature has heat loss back through the cover.

By the way Mark, the earlier concern of a clear cover letting radiation back out isn't a concern in my opinion because an opaque dark cover would likely absorb that radiation and then that energy would get thermally transferred to the other side of that surface and removed through convection to the air or re-radiation back to the sky. It's only a white or reflective cover to infrared that would retain the radiation in the pool, but as you point out that's a minor source of loss anyway.

I've been losing at least .25" per day to evaporation (at least 50 gallons), but I'm too lazy to put the cover on. I lose 3 degrees at night. Pool is 50% shade and never gets above 85 without the heat pump on. Clear covers seem to grow algae faster than darker ones. Never tried an opaque cover, but my gut says it would be best in my situation. I'm thinking 4x8 sheets of foam board would work better than solar rings (cheaper, won't overlap in the wind, and probably better insulator. Just throwing my 2 cents out there.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Although I can see how a clear cover should allow more radiant energy into the pool, by reciprocity it should also allow more radiant energy out of the pool as well. So for radiation heat loss, I would expect clear to be worse than colored. Given this, I am not entirely convinced that there is a net benefit of a clear cover over any other colors for net heat gain over a 24hr period.

Plus I have used both clear and blue and haven't really noticed any significant difference.

Not much of a consensus that I can tell. There are a lot of opinions but few scientific studies to back up these opinions, including my own. I don't think it matters what color, thickness or manufacture you choose, from my own experience, they all seem to perform about the same. I think it probably matters more on how you use the cover and store it rather than what cover you choose.

Re: My $0.02 with a clear bubble cover

I looked up that blanket you have and they said it doesn't last that long...ya know....2 stars whatever that mean. Just wondered how long you've had yours and how its holding up...Thanks Dave

I've got solar panels on my roof but its gotta be very hot for them to be of use. If I do it again I will use a solar blanket and a gas heater.....I guess...not really happy with either and my pool isn't very large. Maybe they have better panels now. Mine are 8 years old.

Re: My $0.02 with a clear bubble cover

I looked up that blanket you have and they said it doesn't last that long...ya know....2 stars whatever that mean. Just wondered how long you've had yours and how its holding up...Thanks Dave
To whom are you directing that question and can you post a link to the review?

I just started year 2 of my 5 mil and my previous covers, 8 mil blue and 12 mil clear (2) all lasted 2-3 years.

I've got solar panels on my roof but its gotta be very hot for them to be of use.
That could mean that are just not installed properly or not being used properly. Most solar panels should easily add heat to a pool. How big are your panels?

Hey Richard I see you have 12 solar panels. I have 8 and they are ok but not so good. Ther are about 10 years old would that make them too old? Are they worn out. I live in the Concord, Ca area so it heats up around July but I have to wait until then for them to be of any use. I see a heater also maybe that would be my beat bet. Thanks Richard,,,Dave

8 panels should be plenty for that size pool. Perhaps they are not getting enough flow.

How are the panels plumbed and where are they located (i.e. height)?

What speed are you using when running the panels?

What is the filter pressure with and without running the panels?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Of my 12 panels, 2 are in shade a lot due to a large Sycamore tree. In the early spring and later in the fall the leaves are off the tree so these 2 panels help a bit during that part of the season. So 10 panels with my 16,000 gallon pool works great, but we heat the pool warm to 88ºF. Unless you plan to want to heat it that warm, 8 panels should work well. Answer Mark's questions and we can figure out why you aren't getting the heating that you should. My panels have 48 GPM so 4 GPM each which is their recommended flow rate though I could go down some without much loss of efficiency (say to 3.5 GPM, though 3 GPM might have the pressure relief valve open and get air into the system due to less than atmospheric pressure). According to FAFCO specs, 4 GPM has 80% efficiency while 3 GPM has 75% efficiency (for a given set of assumed conditions).

I will certainly check the psi when the panels are running. I usually run the pump around 3000. Is that going too fast as water doesn't time to heat up on the roof I'm thinking, before returning to the pool. I Havent started this year...have to wait for another month

I Havent started this year...have to wait for another month
What is your location?

Is that going too fast as water doesn't time to heat up on the roof I'm thinking, before returning to the pool.
Just the opposite. Faster flow rates result in more heat transferred to the pool because the panels are more efficient (i.e. less heat is lost).

I use a clear deck in ground cover roller. My cover was used from 2012 and is getting a bit brittle at the lead edges. (6 seasons of use!) It seemed to age much more this year as I upped the free chlorine level. I believe lower free chlorine and the great protection of the in ground reel made the biggest difference in in longevity.

I'm shopping for a new cover... But I have not Experienced the cover deterioration some talk about... No bits and pieces in skimmers etc. Perhaps I have another year or 2 of life?

Anyway that's my experience and here's email.confirmation on the one I purchased late 2011

Order Confirmation
Robb
Thank you for ordering through SolarCovers.com - Solar Pool Covers, Reels, Heaters and More! - SolarCovers.com. We appreciate your business. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact our Customer Service department at 1.800.828.7838.
Your Order and Billing Information
If you used a credit card to make your purchase, the charge for your SolarCovers.com - Solar Pool Covers, Reels, Heaters and More! - SolarCovers.com order will appear on your credit card statement as R & P Pools Inc.
Order Number:
Order Date: Thu Sep 01 01:10:53 2011
Shipping Address
port huron, MI 48060
Product # Product Name Quantity Price
469236 Crystal Clear Solar Cover 20 ft. x 45 ft. Rectangular 12 Mil 1 169.99
Sub Total: 169.99
Shipping: 0.00
Tax: 0.00
Grand Total: 169.99

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.