Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
So I decided that draping our towels over the wrought iron (and rusty) safety fence is getting old and decided to build myself a towel rack out of PVC. I have three (3) 1-1/2" deck sleeves that are design to accept 1-1/2" umbrella poles, so I decided to use one of those. A nominal 1" PVC pipe has an outer diameter of ~1.3" so I figured the pole could be easily constructed from different sizes of PVC pipe along with fitting to make the arms. Here's the parts list -

Two (2) 10' lengths of 3/4" SCH40 PVC pipe (for the main shaft)
One (1) precut length of 1" SCH40 PVC, ~ 2' length (for anchoring in the deck sleeve)
One precut length of 1/2" PVC pipe, ~2' length (so that 3/4" PVC fitting can be slid on to them)
Various 3/4" PVC cross fittings and pipe reducers to put it all together with

Total material cost - ~$26

Tools needed -

Miter saw and miter box to make straight cuts (substitute a ratcheting PVC cutting if available)
Pipe end dressing tool (to clean up rough cut ends)
Measuring tape and marker

Eventually I will need some PVC glue and some spray paint but this post will just show the rough, dry-fitted end result.

So here's some pictures of the cuts -

4B547AD8-0902-480B-9AE2-8DD30342897B_zpsotl3qk7n.jpg

The plastic miter box has followed me around for years. It's cheap but boy have I used it for everything (I don't have a radial saw or bench cutter).

I decided to cut the first 10' section of 3/4" PVC into 16" lengths (total of 8) for the towel arms. Here's the first cut -

6295680C-BB23-434A-88AE-991C5DA89F00_zpszev5ydij.jpg

Eight more to go.....

So now, to make the arms rotate, I used four 3/4" cross fittings threaded over a 1/2" PVC pipe with the appropriate 1/2 to 3/4 adapters. Here -

0E50CEFA-4B95-4BB6-AB08-893DB95BC2C6_zpscgmezoj1.jpg

Next, I measured and cut the 1" PVC pipe to fit into the 1-1/2" deck sleeve -

C0106182-DDEA-45BE-A796-F39585AA2D5F_zpsvukzueuz.jpg

I finally press fit all the parts together and, viola!

4D215DA5-7892-4564-8FBF-B6E2EF00BA60_zpsfap7rho2.jpg

Total time spent cutting and assembling, ~ 1 hour.

I have not glued anything together yet as I may make some changes. I think I might use some SCH80 1" PVC instead of the 3/4" SCH40 PVC for the main shaft; with wet towels on the arms, the pole is going to bend a bit. I also may shorten it a little OR spread out the cross arms. Once I get it to my liking, I'll glue and paint.

Anyone have any thoughts on best practices for painting PVC? Does it need a good white primer coat first? I have some very expensive exterior Dunn-Edwards Paint that I used on my house which is designed to hold up to Arizona's high heat / UV environment. I was thinking of using that instead of just cheap spray paint.

Krylon Fusion or the Dual Paint & Primer from ACE is what I would try.

I use the later on metal for my off-road vehicles often, the Fusion is more for plastics so might be better.

I have found PVC to be the "duct tape" equivalent solution to many DIY projects at my house. :) Nice job Matt.

Yeah, it's amazing. I have a bunch of pool floats and noodles lying around and I have another PVC project in mind to make a holder for them that I can hang on my block wall. A little PVC and duct tape and you can do wonders....

Krylon Fusion or the Dual Paint & Primer from ACE is what I would try.

I use the later on metal for my off-road vehicles often, the Fusion is more for plastics so might be better.

Thanks, Jason!! I will definitely grab some next time I'm in ACE.

Great idea Matt. I think I might try this in a nice sturdy umbrella base.

Dom

Thanks. Sadly, things have been so busy for me that I have yet to paint the pole. I need to modify it a bit (shorten the height about 6") and bulk up the 1" PVC section that plugs into the deck sleeves with a little 20mil pipe tape. The OD/ID mismatch between the sleeve and the pipe is enough to make it a bit too wobbly. Unfortunately there's no perfect fit solution in standard SCH40 PVC so it needs a little tweak/hack to make it work.

Also, the 3/4" PVC main pipe feels a little flimsy to me so it might have been better just to use straight 1" PVC or maybe SCH80 PVC. Something with a slightly larger wall thickness.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.