One quote came in for a repair, what do you guys think?

May 31, 2014
Wentzville, MO
I have spammed the forums with all my panic questions over the past week (sorry). My fiberglass pool developed a rather large crack over the winter. I got in it to apply epoxy (to buy some time) last weekend and noticed a large amount of "water bedding". It freaked me out, so after the repair I bought a pump and started to remove water from the well point to ease the pressure. I ran the pump for several hours but eventually I noticed the pool water level dropping. This told me a few things, one it actually did remove the ground water, but got it low enough to start drawing from the pool crack. Which in turn told me I didn't seal the crack well enough. How ever I noticed that one side of it "popped" up some, I am guessing from the floor trying to go back down (it was bulged in that area).

Obviously I have to get the crack repaired ASAP. Right now water has not been leaking, but its going to be in the 90s-100 for the next week with no chances of rain. So I am guessing the water table is going to drop on its own. :(

However I have contacted a dozen places and no one does fiberglass pool repairs, with the exception of two. I was able to get one of the places to come out Sunday and give me a quote (plus explain their process). And the other hasn't returned my calls.

Anyhow the quote I received was 2,700. I have no idea if this is reasonable. I wanted to compare quotes but I am having a very hard time doing that. Does anyone have an idea if this seems about right? The process was to drain the well point, pool, put some braces in and fix the crack.

Thanks for the input, sorry for the long post. I am a little stuck on how to deal with the waiting period.

That sounds like a reasonable price, you are basically dealing with a boat and people that work on fiberglass are not cheap, but they are worth there weight in gold if they can fix it :)

the only cheaper way would be a DIY, but I know that I could not do it without some help, one way you can look at this is training.. watch everything they are doing, take video, write down equipment and supplies they are using so if you ever need to have it done again you could probably DIY :) People pay way more than that to learn how to do things...

it can be done pretty easy, I have not done it but many have... look at this video, it is exactly the same your just doing it on the inside of your pool instead of the outside of a boat :)

This sounds like a significant crack. You also have groundwater problems. For those two reasons alone I would hire the contractor this first time. Ask him he may drop his price a bit.

But there is another reason:
Make sure he has insurance. If he pops the pool you are covered, if you are DYIing it your homeowners may not cover it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.