question about adding calcium chloride

Apr 18, 2016
New Jersey
You guys have been an unbelievable help in helping me break away from my pool guy saving money as well as being proud in how well the pool is looking. I have a 34,000 gallon plaster pool with great numbers with the exception of CH.

FC-7
CC-0
PH-7.5
TA-100
CH-150-175
CYA-70

According to poolmath, I need to add 554 ounces (or about 34 pounds) of calcium chloride. is there any real difference in the quality of calcium chloride to account for significant price differences between products? I know de-icer is much cheaper but I cannot locate any now during the summer (plan to stock up this winter for next season). I was looking at these two products at walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pool-Mate-Calcium-Increaser/36939139 costs $25 for a 25lb pail

http://www.walmart.com/ip/In-The-Swim-Pool-Calcium-Hardness-Increaser-25-lb.-Pail/44441492 costs 40 for a 25lb pail

Lastly, any suggestions or advice for how to add this much product? I have heard conflicting recommendations to pre-mix in a bucket as well as some comments about the product not completely dissolving and hardening on the bottom of the pool. Are there any restrictions on how soon someone can go swimming if I add it all at once or over the course of a day?

Thanks again for all the help so far. I have already recommended the site to a couple of friends and neighbors who are having issues.

Nick

jblizzle--I had read the pool school article on adding chemicals. It seemed to me that adding that much calcium chloride was a very large dump of stuff into the pool and wanted to make sure the "general instructions" still applied. I thought it better to ask first to make sure than ask later how to fix if I did it wrong...

I bought the 25 lb Pool Mate (the first link you posted) this year. I was very happy with it. Dissolved quickly and brought my CH level right to where I expected it to go. If you are worried about adding that much in one shot, just do it in stages. Calcium will tend to cloud the water for a bit if you add too much in one shot. But it will clear.

To give you an idea. My volume is not much bigger than yours. I added half the bucket. It didn't look overly cloudy, so I added the rest. There was a slight cloud, but nothing too bad. It was clear as could be in less than 2 hours with pump running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.