Hello from OH-IO!

Jun 8, 2016
Sheffield Lake, OH
Good morning all!

I am very thankful for recently finding this site, its been a real eye opener! I am a 5 year pool owner of a hand me down 18ft above ground pool (actually, just the shell was given to me, I bought the pump/filter and obviously liners new), all of which I have apparently been doing it all wrong! For as long as I have had the pool up and running, I have done nothing but what the pool store said to do, been using test strips, tons of different chemicals, and never really having sparkling water.

Like many, I went out searching the internet for fixing cloudy water after not opening the pool last year and it being super green and sludgy. I wish I had found this site years ago. I ordered a K-2006 kit yesterday and picked up several gallons of 10% liquid chlorine. Over the weekend I did goto the pool store where they did their mechanical 7 point test which I only assumed was accurate at the time (it certainly looked impressive!) and I now know that isn't the case. But, my CYA was 30 and FC was .5, of which they said was ok and that I just needed something called Pool First Aid to clear up my blue cloudy water which obviously it hadn't :brickwall:

So in short, while I wait for my own test kit (should be here tomorrow), I cleaned off my filter (brand new) and added 2 gallons of liquid chlorine yesterday and another gallon this morning in hopes to start a SLAM.

Welcome to TFP!

While you are waiting for your kit to arrive, here are some resources to give you an overview of managing your pool using our methods:

1. Begin with this article: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry. This boils everything you need to know about managing pool water chemistry down to one page.

After you have a good understanding of the ABC's article, the following articles will give a little more information on the pool chemicals we recommend and the recommended levels.
2. Recommended Pool Chemicals
3. Recommended Levels

Thanks all! After keeping reef tanks for the past decade, I am no stranger to precise cal/alk/ph water testing...which im not sure why I didn't think more about better testing on the pool, maybe because its only open a few months in NE Ohio and if it was clear it was thought to be OK.

Thanks again and look forward to doing things correctly going forward.