TFPC to the Rescue - Sunday was one of those days

mgmoore7

Bronze Supporter
May 9, 2015
Land O Lakes, FL
After a big costly mistake culminating on Sunday (I killed my entire newly sodded back yard - another story for another time), I told my wife, it was just probably going to be one of those days.

I have a SWG but we had alot of rain on Sat and swam alot with usually 8-9 people in the pool.

So on Sunday afternoon, when I tested, the TC was low and I was going to supplement the SWG with bleach. PoolMath called for 32 oz to bring it to 5 FC.

I added 32 oz of Muratic Acid instead of bleach. I was talking to my dad at the time and the bottle location had been switched for some reason since I don't keep them in the same spot. By the time the fumes were registering as MA, it was done. I am color blind so things like this I don't pay much attention to color.

Then I added Baking Soda instead of Borax to bring the PH back up.

In the end, by the end of the day, all was back in order and fine.

If I did not have TFPC knowledge, this would have been panic mode. Instead, I just tested, adjusted, repeat until everything is back in order and I had everything on hand that was needed. We were swimming again that night.

Thanks TFP!!!!

Re: TFPC to the Resue - Sunday was one of those days

Great job on using your knowledge to get everything back in order with regards to your chemistry. But I have to ask regarding burning your sod:

Pulled the solar blanket off the pool and onto the lawn? If so, I did that once when I was a kid at my parents house. :oops: Dad wasn't happy! :grrrr: Luckily it was just a surface burn. The roots were still good so in two weeks the green came back! :grin:

Great job on using your knowledge to get everything back in order with regards to your chemistry. But I have to ask regarding burning your sod:

Pulled the solar blanket off the pool and onto the lawn? If so, I did that once when I was a kid at my parents house. :oops: Dad wasn't happy! :grrrr: Luckily it was just a surface burn. The roots were still good so in two weeks the green came back! :grin:

My newly sodded st augustin (about 6 weeks) yard after completing the pool was had alot of weeds. Obviously, weeds that were in the sod since I have never seen the particular type in my yard...

I sprayed "Bayer Advanced Southern Weed Killer for Lawns" on about 2,000 sq ft. The next bottle description then says:
-Kills weeds in Southern lawns, without harming the grass
-Kills 200+ broadleaf weeds in St
-Augustine grass, Centipede grass and other Southern lawns

What I did not see was the fine print that says, do not use on Floritam variety of St. Augustine. Floritam happens to be what is used on well more than 50% of lawns in my area if not a whole lot more. The other varieties are usually special order.

Now, I get to rip it all out, and resod. This will cost me over $1000 to do it myself. The effort to take away the dead grass is huge and then one wheel barrel at a time around the house. The 1st time, since the fence was down and the path was cleared, they could drop the pallets in the back, that is not possible now. The effort will probably be 2-3 times the time and I killed the grass that was fine before.

I am sick about it....

I just learned this lesson. Literally. I pulled my solar cover off the pool and stretched it across the lawn to dry out before storing it away. When I rolled it back up, I noticed a toasty brown almost black like color to the blades of grass it sat on. I thought maybe the chlorine, or the salt did it. But now I know it was the scorching heat. Ooops. Glad to know it'll come back to life soon.

- - - Updated - - -

My newly sodded st augustin (about 6 weeks) yard after completing the pool was had alot of weeds. Obviously, weeds that were in the sod since I have never seen the particular type in my yard...

I sprayed "Bayer Advanced Southern Weed Killer for Lawns" on about 2,000 sq ft. The next bottle description then says:
-Kills weeds in Southern lawns, without harming the grass
-Kills 200+ broadleaf weeds in St
-Augustine grass, Centipede grass and other Southern lawns

What I did not see was the fine print that says, do not use on Floritam variety of St. Augustine. Floritam happens to be what is used on well more than 50% of lawns in my area if not a whole lot more. The other varieties are usually special order.

Now, I get to rip it all out, and resod. This will cost me over $1000 to do it myself. The effort to take away the dead grass is huge and then one wheel barrel at a time around the house. The 1st time, since the fence was down and the path was cleared, they could drop the pallets in the back, that is not possible now. The effort will probably be 2-3 times the time and I killed the grass that was fine before.

I am sick about it....

I can only imagine. It sounds like you are taking it fairly well though, and if it helps, we've all been there before, to some degree.

I can only imagine. It sounds like you are taking it fairly well though, and if it helps, we've all been there before, to some degree.

Not sure, I was quite depressed about it this past weekend (and I am not easily depressed or emotional) as I watched what I thought was a little stress on the grass become a full blown kill off.

The reality of the amount of work and cost ahead of me is still yet know. Just when I was finishing up the last few minor items from the pool build construction.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.