Jul 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
To start:
Cl: 5
Ph: 7.2
Ta: 120
Ch: 210
Cya: 35
I began trying to 'open' my pool about 3 weeks ago. It was not covered over the winter so it was really bad. I have followed the slam method to the letter so far. Everything seems perfect except that it is still so cloudy that i cant see the bottom. The color looks good and it looks clean ( the sides brushed), but it is very cloudy from about 4 inches below the surface. Im frusterated because since day 3 it is unchanged and i keep adding more bleach to maintain shock lever but it wont clear. For the last 2 days i have not added any because i wanted to let it drop to safe level and get in the pool to move water around and see if that helps. But I have no idea what to do from here. So before i get in there i wanted to find other suggestions and possibly a remedy.

leah, you're on the right path by doing a SLAM, but your FC needs some increasing. Remember, whenever we look at our FC requirement, we first go to the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below). From there, look at your CYA first, in your case 35 - rounded up to 40. The matching SLAM FC level for that is "16". That's the proper ratio of FC and CYA you need right now for the SLAM to work. Also, as long as you don't go over 16, it is safe to get in the water to do whatever it is you need to do. You're fine right now, just need to increase that FC to 16 is all. Good luck!

Thank you for your reply. I maintained around 14 for the first 2 weeks. I only recently allowed it to decrease thinking if i got in and moved the water it would help. Its at a 5 now, so im still waiting for it go down a little more before i get in. Im thinking that maybe im not reaching the center of the pool with my equipment because it is above ground with no deck. Does this sound logical? That if there is still debris in the center that is not moving, it wont clear?

That could be it - debris in the middle. Espeically if you have leaves in the pool from over the winter. At SLAM levels of CL, leaves (and those maple tree spinners) begin to break down and "skeletonize". They are suprisingly hard to see on the bottom, even with clear water. They will continue to break down for a long long time, unless you get them out of there. You pool is 10,000 gal, so that is what, a 20 footer? You should be able to reach the middel with a skimmer pole. Get a leaf rake (not a skimmer net) and drag it across the bottom of your pool and see what you pick up.

Thank you phonedave. Its 22 ft actually. Yes i have been using the leaf rake and standing on a chair. At first i was disgusted at the amount of mess that i was getting out. But then when it was next to nothing after a few days, i couldnt figure out why it was still so cloudy. Over a few days i let the cl level drop to about a 4, and got my son to get in and help me. He ran around it all through the middle, then made a whirlpool. I handed him the leaf rake and got him directly in the middle of the pool. Twice we did that and both times got half full nets of leaves and other debris. So it was still dirty on the bottom. But with cloudy water it is hard to see what you are doing. I shocked it last night, but... Today the cloud is worse! Yesterday i could see the top step of the ladder, today i cant. Is that in any way normal? Also i should mention that i switched from liquid shock to clorox. I read that the calcium can cause cloudiness. Or could it be my pump isnt working good enough? I clean the cartridge at least once a day, and have kept 3 1" skimmer pucks in it. I am begining to regret buying the pool. Its been hot here and having the pool in the yard is a tease when i cant figure out how to clear it to swim in.

Note to (your) self: open before the water temp gets to 60 degrees next year. If you close properly, you should open clear and ready to go. I do, and I open to a balanced (FC/CYA in proper ratio) pool. May cost a bit more in electricity by opening early, but off-set by the cost of chemicals to fix it and the cost of your time. Not yelling; just advising.

Thank you all. Im getting the sand filter this weekend. I knew the pool should have been covered and we would be swimming by now. My husband has learned a costly lesson. Lol He was too lazy to do it, and i could not do it by myself. Im sure that mistake will not be made again. ��

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Take those skimmer pucks out of there. they area adding CYA to your water, and eventually will raise it to a point where it is too high. 35-40 ppm (where you are now) is where I keep mine (at 40). Some people go a bit higher, but you don't want to go much more.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.