Filter media questions

Mar 28, 2016
Corpus Christi
Hello all!
3 months ago I bought an intex above ground pool. A couple days ago the pump died. (RIP) I mean completely dead. Will not even power on. So the store i purchased from has a 90 day return policy. I started draining and cleaning the pool yesterday to return it to the store.I will get a replacement pool and pump.No money back but hey it's a completely new pool.No complaints here. I have decided to buy a sand filter pump combination that looks good and is a really good price. Will add swg later. My husband and I feel like we can use the little cartridge filter to make a fountain. My question here is what filter media is the best? Silica sand is obviously cheapest but how does everyone feel about the others? Glass, those funky blue balls (look like styrofoam )some other one made from volcanic something? Don't know anything about any of these. We had a cartridge filter in our last pool, so it's completely new to me. If you break down the cost if the others last a long time it's all about the same right? Any and all unbiased insights are greatly appreciated! I only use bleach ,washing soda, borax and dry acid in my pool if that makes any difference. Thanks again!
Connie

Sand has been filtering pools very well for years. The only positive I can say about the alternative media is that it helps the owner of the pool store make their boat payment easier.

IMHO don't try to fix what ain't broke, go with sand.

Lmao I was kinda thinking the same thing...I have absolutely nothing to go on other than the descriptions on the websites selling the stuff. Kinda like buying a used car cause the salesman said it's great. Supposedly some of the other filter media can filter down to the same level as de...just wondering if anyone has any experience with any of the alternatives to sand? If they make my life easier I'm all for it,but if it's just a more expensive sand? Not so much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.