TF 100 finally here.

dcloer

Gold Supporter
Jun 7, 2016
Hickory/NC
I got the dreaded green pool a couple weeks ago. I just inherited the upkeep duties from my mother in law as it is at her house and she has moved in with her new husband an hour away. Hey, free pool for us! Yes please! Pump was bad and while waiting on parts, pool went green. I did what everyone does and bought 24 1 lb bags of shock granules from Sam's club and started dumping them in (and brushing daily) and added 4 pucks for good measure in the chlorinator which of course worked to a point. It turned bluish white but got no better. I had a simple test kit so I was really only getting pH and fc readings. I found ur site and immediately ordered the tf 100 kit which took its Sweet time getting here. I did start putting liquid bleach in trying to guess what to do. I added 4 121oz jugs the first day and then 2 more in am and 1 more in pm. Repeat for 2 more days. I finally started seeing FC above 5 which is max of old kit. Today, took first CYA measurement and got 90 to 100. FC is 20.5 and CC is 0.5. PH is 7.5. Looking at chart it seems my FC is low for shock value but it seems my CC reading is good. I will let the experts give me a plan of what to add in the am. BTW, my wife told her mom I was using bleach, to which she said I would ruin the liner. Sheesh.

Well, all that "shock" and tablets put your CYA much higher than you want it. Really the best first step is 50% water replacement. Then follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

BTW, the pH test reads artificially high when the FC > 10ppm ... so that makes me worry all the "shock" also crashed your pH way too low (which btw, could actually ruin the line ;) )

Glad your MIL is trained! They'll both be loving the clear water in no time. Probably even buy you some more bleach! :) Is that really what everyone does? Buys 24 lbs of shock? They should stop right?

Ok, first the PH test is not valid when FC is above 10ppm.

You have two choices
SLAM with high CYA, which is totally fine, I SLAMed with CYA at 80 last summer. Just make sure your FC is at the right level for your CYA. Which you already understand. Good job.

Or drain about half the pool to get CYA down to 50ish and then SLAM.

So, decide which, check the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] and start your SLAM Process

Well, I didn't use all of the shock. It just came in a box of 24 bags. Should I worry about low pH at this point? Also, how long after done slamming will it take to get back in the pool. With high CYA, it seems the FC level will be way too high for a long long time. Family getting really upset w me about missing so much swim time. My MIL never had this issue it seems.

It is safe to swim when
PH is 7.2 to 7.8
FC is above minimum and below shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
And the water is clear

We swam every day while SLAMing last summer with CYA at 70 and FC at 28 and nobody even noticed. Water was crystal clear though. How does your water look now?

What was the last PH reading before FC went up above 10?

Are you going to drain or SLAM?

If you are going to SLAM, Do you know how to use Poolmath yet. Instructions here, Pool School - PoolMath

Enter all your test results and pool size in Now And in Target. Except change target PH to 7.4. Add however much muriatic acid is says to add. Pay attention to the MA percentage, it will be 31.45% or 15%.

Or drain half, refill, test PH, adjust to 7.2 and SLAM.

And then SLAM. Test and raise FC back to shock level as often as you can and brush once or twice a day. Those are the keys to a speedy SLAM.

Well, now you found TFP and will realize just how much misinformation is out there I the pool industry ;)

With CYA in the water, the FC is buffed and must be higher to be safe.

Not safe to swim until you can see the bottom.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.