Ok, got my test kit and here are my results:

TA 150
FC 1.5
CC 0.5
TC 2.0
CYA 38+-
CH 350-375
ph 8.2 or higher

Brand new Pebble Fina sapphire galaxy finish. Well water, located in Central California. What's the prescription? Any advice appreciated.

Need the TA value, BTW. You want that to buffer pH. Also, SWG or straight chlorine?

In the meantime, FC a little low, probably want to get to 3.0 for CYA of 40:
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

pH should come down. You need to add some muriatic acid. How much? I just dump a few cups and retest the next day. For 8.2, guessing a full two cups but you can either do an acid demand test or just add and test like I do. My pH naturally rises so I don't have a problem overdoing it but your situation might be different. It does need to come down, though. FYI, I never measure, just approximate and retest. You don't want to be trying to measure acid with a measuring cup or something, not worth it.

Hi Newman,
here is a link to recommended levels.
Pool School - Recommended Levels

And here is a link to Pool Math. Using this tool will tell you how much of something to add.

At very top left, add your pool volume.
On the column to the far left, under NOW enter your test results.
On the next column to the right, under Target enter the recommended level for the water paramater.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Ok, got my test kit and here are my results:

FC 1.5
CC 0.5
TC 2.0
CYA 38+-
CH 350-375
ph 8.2 or higher

Brand new Pebble Fina sapphire galaxy finish. Well water, located in Central California. What's the prescription? Any advice appreciated.

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

How new is new? Is your builder doing the first 30 days start up? Did they give you any instructions? Did you register with Pebbletec?

From Pebbletec's website
After registering your PTI pool finish on our website, you will receive a confirmation email that contains a link to download the full protection plan including start-up and maintenance guidelines. After 30 days, we recommend you follow the National Plasters Council (NPC) guidelines that can be found by visiting:*Start-up Cards - National Plasterers Council. Salt pools (SWCG’s) and PebbleFina Galaxy finishes should follow PTI’s ‘Start-up and Maintenance Procedures’ instructions.

Register here
Product Registration Pebble Tec

CH is OK
PH is too high, it needs to be 7.2 to 7.8 at all times. Lower it to 7.5 or so.

Plastering company did the hot start with the acid bath, balanced everything, then they were done. My pool service has control of it now. I am testing and learning behind the scenes to take it over myself soon. Still need to meet with plastering contractor for final look over and to go over warranty information (and make final payment). It came out way more mottled and inconsistent than we had hoped for.

Ok, good, the first 30 days is done. Be sure to address your concerns with the contractor and don't hesitate to get Pebbletec involved if needed. You paid a premium for a premium product and Pebbletec is great about getting involved with warranty issues if needed.

On to your chemistry.

Your FC is too low. Chlorine level is set based on CYA level and the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. FC must always be above target to keep the pool sanitized and avoid algae.
Your water also appeals to have potential for scaling and you already see that the PH is rising. You need to learn how to manage your CSI. Enter your number in Poolmath and it will calculate your CSI for you. You then tweak PH and TA to adjust the number. You wamt your CSI to be between -0.3 and 0 to prevent scaling. More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

Your new plaster and high TA is going to drive you PH up almost continuously. So, test often and adjust. Regular acid additions will lower your TA slowly. A lower TA will help slow PH rise. You probably want to end up with TA in the 60-80 range. You can actively lower TA following this process, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Read this a few times, play with Poolmath and ask questions as needed. CSI is easy to manage and important, it can add a decade to your plaster life if well managed.

Thanks. I did add some muriatic acid last night, PH was down into 7.5-7.8 area when I re-checked this morning (seems like the color matching in the TF-100 is not an exact science). I will stop on way home and buy some liquid chlorine (carefully checking how old it is) or some bleach, and get that FC level up ASAP.

As far as the Pebble Fina finish, we are pleased with the look when it is in full sun, but not so much when its in the shade. Went for a darker finish (Sapphire Galaxy) to try and achieve some warmer water. The contractor is going to have to convince me that the level of mottling we have is within the realm of normal. I asked him to bring a bunch of pictures of darker finishes he has done (not glamour shots only). I am glad I held back some retention $ to keep him motivated.

Ok, good, the first 30 days is done. Be sure to address your concerns with the contractor and don't hesitate to get Pebbletec involved if needed. You paid a premium for a premium product and Pebbletec is great about getting involved with warranty issues if needed.

On to your chemistry.

Your FC is too low. Chlorine level is set based on CYA level and the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. FC must always be above target to keep the pool sanitized and avoid algae.
Your water also appeals to have potential for scaling and you already see that the PH is rising. You need to learn how to manage your CSI. Enter your number in Poolmath and it will calculate your CSI for you. You then tweak PH and TA to adjust the number. You wamt your CSI to be between -0.3 and 0 to prevent scaling. More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

Your new plaster and high TA is going to drive you PH up almost continuously. So, test often and adjust. Regular acid additions will lower your TA slowly. A lower TA will help slow PH rise. You probably want to end up with TA in the 60-80 range. You can actively lower TA following this process, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Read this a few times, play with Poolmath and ask questions as needed. CSI is easy to manage and important, it can add a decade to your plaster life if well managed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.