Added 6.5 gallons of bleach (8.25%) and FC still at 0.5

Jun 13, 2016
Vail/AZ
I am new to pool ownership. Our pool was doing well (according to the pool store) and then it turned cloudy and the liner felt slightly slimy. We started reading TFP and bought a Taylor K-2005 (wrong kit unfortunately) and started adding bleach to raise our FC. I added it slowly (1 gallon every few hours) and the FC rose up to 0.5 after adding 6.5 gallons of 8.25%, but never got higher. It is still at 0.5 (pool store test). My CYA is at 30.

The cloudiness and sliminess has gone away, but the FC is still very low. Do I need to do the SLAM method to bring the FC up to normal levels? And with the SLAM method, do I really raise the FC to 12 (per the Chlorine/CYA chart for CYA 30?) Also, since I have a SWG, do I need to raise the CYA to 70 before beginning the SLAM process?

Thanks for the help.

:wave: Welcome to TFP, neighbor!!!

Have you ordered the FAS-DPD Chlorine Test yet so you have the equivalent of the K-2006? I would suggest also ordering the XL option and more CYA reagent as you will run out of both of them.

You need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process and you MUST have the FAS-DPD test to do it. You are adding the chlorine way too slowly to be of much good.

You should turn the SWG off, leave the CYA and SLAM, after you pass the 3 criteria to stop, then raise the CYA and turn the SWG back on.

Post up a full set of your test results.

Great to see their are others in Tucson on this forum. Thanks for the response. Here are the test results (from the pool store). FC= 0.05, TC = 0.27, CC = 0.22, pH = 7.4, TA = 148, CH = 196, CYA = 30, Copper = 0, Iron = 0, Dissolved Solids = 2200, Phosphates = 0, Salt = 3400.

I have ordered the taylor-1515a FAS-DPD test kit.

We do not trust pool store test results ...

So I would rather see what your K-2005 results are ;)

If the CYA is really 30ppm, then you just need to SLAM away ... you might be able to get a reasonable FC level around 12ppm by diluting the pool water 50/50 with distilled for your existing DPD chlorine test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.