T104R timer turns off but not on

Hello everyone. I'm a pool noob. I bought a house with a pool, mainly because my wife liked this house best out of the bunch (happy wife, happy life) and also because I wanted my kid to have a pool growing up. Anyway, I have MANY problems with this pool...but one thing at a time. The T104R timer will turn off, but not on. The previous owner didn't seem to know how to turn a wrench or a screwdriver, so this house is fraught with problems. I digress. I bought new trippers to no avail. I tried to watch the timer when it was supposed to turn on, but it was like watching paint dry. I could see the actuating lever get displaced by the on tripper...it slowly moved to the right...but didn't have the patience to watch the final result. Well, when I was brushing the pool, I heard a distinct 'click.' That click was the sound of the lever returning to the off position. So, it seems as if the portion of metal that the on tripper brushes up against has been worn down or bent. I guess my only solution is to buy a new unit. The timer mechanism can be had for $40 on @mazon, but I might as well buy an entire new unit for $60-$70 from Home De Pot. I'm posting on here in hopes that someone else had this problem and solved it a cheaper way. I was actually thinking about beefing up the timer with some solder to see if that would fix the problem...but decided against it. Anyway, I've read that new trippers are supposed to solve the problem; well, I'm here to tell everyone that new trippers don't always work. I guess I'll go buy a new unit and install it...but this T104R timer seems like 1960 technology. Maybe there's a newer, more energy efficient solid state model out in the wild. Thanks for having the patience to read this.

Welcome to TFP :)

It is old tech but it's tried and true that works... they do fail after many years and the great part is you just replace the innards and your back in business.. they do have digital timers, if you call intermatic technical support and ask them for the digital equivalent of your timer they can tell you what you need :)

Intermatic ET1105C 24 Hour Electronic Time Switch - Wall Timer Switches - Amazon.com

there is newer technology, automation, but it is not cheap at all... it can cost upwards of 2000 to 4000 depending on what is installed and what you want to control..

I hope this helps :)

Cowboycasey, thanks a bunch for the reply. I just got around to reading it. I guess I don't have my setting set up such that I get e-mail notification when someone replies to my post. Anyway, I bought the 'innards' and will install soon. I've been running my pump practically 24/7 due to dealing with a bunch of algae problems, etc., so I haven't cared about needing to go out and turn the pump off. My dumb@ss left the water running too long the other night (filling up the pool due to evaporation)...my wife woke up in the middle of the night to let our dog out and just caught it before it overflowed. We pool owners also need an automatic fill system with fault-tolerant safety built in!

Thanks again for that info you provided!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.