Grey ring on stairs

Reebs

Bronze Supporter
Aug 4, 2008
Hebron, CT
I have a SWG pool with a vinyl liner. The pool is very clear and clean except at my stairs. There is a stubborn charcoal grey ring on my white stairs that is about 2-3" wide all the way around. It almost looks like soot from a fireplace. Any idea how I can remove this "ring"? Thanks!

More info please.... :mrgreen:

What are the steps made of, and please post a full set of test results. A picture of the spot would be good too.

Also, please update your signature to include all of your pool info, limited to 5 lines of text.

Go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature.

That way you won't have to repeat the info when asked, and we don't have to search for it. :wink:

Thanks!

I am sorry for the delayed response! Here are my recent test results, although the stain has been there for at least a season. I am trying to save the photo to a small file size, but I can't seem to make it small enough to upload to the site?

FC: 6.5
PH: 7.3
TA: 90
CH: 250
CYA: 40
Temp: 78

Has your pool water been pretty clear all along? Were you able to maintain your FC pretty well last season? Did the spot appear gradually or suddenly? What does it feel like when you touch it?

Reibeling said:
I am trying to save the photo to a small file size, but I can't seem to make it small enough to upload to the site?

You should upload your photos to Photobucket.com, and then copy the IMG code and paste it in your message here. Choose the "large" size when uploading. It's easy, fast and free. :wink:

Thanks for all the help. I have tried the Vitamin C tablet before and nothing happens. The stain appeared somewhat gradually and is only at the water level (it is not all over the entire stairs). It has not gotten worse and again, has been there for some time. My pool is crystal clear. This is my 4th year with the pool (built new) and I have always used commercial test strips until now and have usually been in their “acceptable” ranges. I have always thought I had “perfect” water. Prior to buying the TFP test kit, I took my water to Leslies Pool Supply to be tested. FC was 4, PH was 7.2, TA was 70 (they wanted it higher and I raised it), CH was 210, CYA was 30 (and I added 2 gallons of their product to raise it at a cost of $70). I recently got TFP test kit and I was surprised at some of my levels unless I am making rookie mistakes. I was very surprised to find that after adding 2 gallons to raise CYA it only came up to 40 (using TFP kit). Unless I am waiting too long to say I can’t see the “black dot” at the bottom of the test tube. I waited until I could truly see no part of it. Maybe that is incorrect? I have attached two links that I hope will show the stain on the stairs well enough for an opinion. Thanks for everything.

IMG_4263.jpg

IMG_4264.jpg

I never realized the stain was above the waterline until you posted the pic. My guess is that coming from the black coping above it. Since it looks like chlorine gets rid of it (as noted by it being clean underneath the water), can you raise the water level a few inches up to the black coping and let the chlorine clean it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks! To raise it that high I would have to fill the pool over the skimmers almost to the top of the liner. Would the Mr. Clean Magic eraser be safe for the pool water? Comet may also work, but I did't think that would be good for the pool.

I don't know if this would help you in the way of using natural products but I love to scrub my tub with a baking soda paste. Rub on and scrub with a brush... WALAA! Clean! Maybe just put it on the brush, wet it down with a few drops of water, scrub steps and wipe off with a cloth so it doesn't mess too much with the TA.

Just thinkin, all natural and part of the BBB. :mrgreen:

Reibeling said:
Thanks! To raise it that high I would have to fill the pool over the skimmers almost to the top of the liner. Would the Mr. Clean Magic eraser be safe for the pool water? Comet may also work, but I did't think that would be good for the pool.
Many people use them on their liners with no ill effect. It's actually a very fine abrasive.

I finally got to the project of cleaning the ring on my stairs and I wanted to provide feedback- The Magic Eraser worked great. I couldn’t believe how easily the stain came off. It also worked great cleaning the liner at the water line too. Thanks for the great advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.