Pool Pump Motor

May 21, 2009
When opening the pool the motor would not start. I think it may be seized up. Can anyone give me some info on how to unseize?? Also, the pump and motor has to pull water from the skimmer up a hill and it has been difficult to prime. Would increasing the horse power from 1.5 to anything higher help??

I wouldn't increase the motor HP just to help prime the pump. Consider adding a check valve to the suction side plumbing.

As for the motor, with the power off take the back plate off (the one covering the wiring) and you'll see the exposed end of the shaft. Turn that a quarter or half turn by hand or with some pliers, then try to start it up again. If it doesn't start, you can CAREFULLY try turning the shaft of the motor with the power on (when it's humming). Just remember there's exposed wiring back there and when it gets started it starts moving very quickly.

Welcome to TFP!!

A couple other tricks to try are giving the motor canister a couple of smart raps with either the butt end of a hammer or a 2X4 while it's on and humming - don't hit it hard enough to dent it! - this may free up a slightly oxidized part. You can also with the pump off! remove the pump basket and try to turn the impeller with a screwdriver - if you can get the impeller to turn, the motor should start normally when you put the basket back in and get the lid back on 8)

If you can get the motor running again using any of these methods, check underneath the pump/ motor interface for leaks, it's very possible you have a shaft seal leak ( replacing a shaft seal assembly is a 'cake walk' and Spishex, myself and others can 'cake walk' you through it :mrgreen: )

Good luck with this, please let us know if you can get the motor running again :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.