How Long Should It Take a Stabilizer to Dissolve?

May 7, 2016
Atlanta, GA
I am working on getting my CYA up from 20 to 40. I have following the advice of the boards and put it in an old sock and submerged it in my skimmer. It's been 24 hours. Three questions. 1. How long should it take until the sock is empty? I was shocked to find it is still full after 24 hours. 2. How long do I need to run the pump for 24/7? 3. I know it takes a while for the CYA to register. In the meantime should I be calculating/adding chlorine based on a CYA of 20 or my goal CYA of 40?

TIA!
Kristina

While the sock is in the skimmer and the pump is running, use your hands to crush and moosh the sock - you'll find you can dissolve a couple of pounds in no time.

Running the pump is only necessary until all the CYA is dissolved from the sock.

I'm impatient about that so when I need cya I put the sock in a bucket of scalding hot water.

I let that sit for an hour then squeeze / squish the sock until it's all dissolved in the bucket
then slowly dump that in front of the deep end jet.

It takes about 10-15 min of doing that to get it all dissolved.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.