Older pool..what to do...

May 18, 2009
I am buying a home in Bergen county ,NJ and the house was built in 1965 and the pool a inground vinyl liner was added sometime after thr home was built.So I was told by the now owner.She had a new liner installed with new water last year and a nice new winter cover.Will there be other issues I should look for being this pool is very old? I do not know the construction of this pool or if they were built different back then.Is this a pandoras box and I should run fast or move forward?

It would be a good idea to get a professional out to inspect everything, especially the equipment pad. Many pools from that era are still fine, but they need to have had proper maticance and equipment upgrades along the way.

For what it's worth, I bought a house in the Philly area with a vinyl pool built in 1967.

The pool has had the liner replaced several times and it looks like the equipment was replaced about 15 years ago. The steel walls look fine -- or at least the small part of them I've been able to see. The bottom is probably "poolcrete" and seems fine except for one divot in the deep end.

I would second the recommendation for an inspection. There were very different safety standards in place then. You may want to do some upgrades to make the pool more in line with current codes. It's probably impractical to bring the pool completely up to current standards, but you should have the inspector look carefully at the bonding, fence and gates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.