Multiport leaking to waste when on filter

sdunk

May 3, 2016
Southeast, NC
I woke this morning to a low pool level causing the skimmer to suck air and air bubbles coming into pool. It was fine yesterday evening. My husband backwashed the filter before we came in for the night. I checked to o-ring seal at the basket at the pump and there are no leaks anywhere that I can see. I checked the waste pipe and it has a small stream steady coming when the pump is on filter so I am thinking that this is the reason my water level in the pool is low. Even with the power turned off I can hear water moving until I turned it to recirculate. So now the pump is off and the multiport is set on recirculate to keep more water(and chemicals) from escaping. I filled the pool back to the correct level with a garden hose with cold well water. What do you guys think?

Thanks duraleigh! My hubby doesn't want to touch it and if I do anything with it, I may never hear the end of it. My pool repair fella is in California till Thursday. I did find some videos online. It doesn't look too hard.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ada3de415e98cc70e4408eadb8a810c7.jpg

Yep, there's your problem! Which model Hayward sand filter do you have? Some of the older filters came with a multiport valve where you can just replace the spider gasket. In the newer filters you have to replace the key assembly.

Ok, decided to take the top off(by myself) and this is what I found. All the parks look normal, not warped. The green sealer was absent on part-it was not even on the main body. The metal parts in the multiport look fine. There does look to a crack in the center white part of the lid but this may not explain why I have a leak to waste while the filter. What do you think?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like you may be better off going with the the key, cover, and handle assembly. Once you've ordered the part, put the old one back on and set the pool to filter as normal, but put the backwash hose into the pool so you don't lose any water. When the part arrives you can switch it out. Get some silicone pool lube if you don't have any and lube up all the gaskets and o-rings before you put the new part on. You may need to transfer an o-ring or two from the old part to the new one. I can't remember if mine came with all the o-rings or not.

Thank you zea3! I made a trip to the pool company and picked up a new Hayward key, cover, and handle assembly along with the o-ring and lube (my waste line would not reach the pool). I came home and got it back together and it is working great! I know it is a small project but it was a lot for me considering I have been a non participant in taking care of anything pool related since we got it 12 years ago. I am very happy!:D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.