Wiring solar override on new controller

Periodic lurker, first time poster here.

I installed an Aquasol solar system for our 28' round AG this spring. Heats well, and my plumbing design seems fine. Wiring the controller (Pentair Solar Touch) is proving more challenging. The controller has a 'booster pump' relay that switches on when the temp of the panels warrants, whether or not the pump is running on its regularly timed schedule. The Pentair manual says a double throw timer is necessary to use this feature to run the main pump when it is not otherwise running on its timed schedule, so I bought an Intermatic T103 timer.

I can't figure out the timer (I think that's my problem, anyway). If I understand this correctly, the timer is supposed to turn the pump on according to the clock, and also according to some other input (i.e. the power from the controller). I wired the controller so that it sends power (everything is 120v) to the timer under the expected conditions. But I apparently have it wired wrong, since the timer is not putting power to the load terminals in response to the input from the controller.

Here is the only wiring diagram that I can find for it. I have line power to #1, and power from the controller relay going to #3, and neutrals tied together on terminal A.

t103-wiring-diagram.jpg

If anyone familiar with this (kind of) timer could explain the wiring requirements, I'd really appreciate it. Or, do I have the wrong sort of timer? The T103 is a DPST.

What is it you are trying to do here? Have your controller turn on the pump, but use a timer to additionally restrict what time window it would be allowed to do so?

If that's the goal I think you need a DPDT timer. May be some other way to wire it up for yours to work, but a DPDT would have a 120v supply to the timer at all times so it works. It then would have normally closed and normally open contacts. The power from the controller that would otherwise go to the pump would go to the normally open connector and the pump would go on the load side. When the timer closes the relay the power is then applied to the pump. Is that what you are trying to do? Someone may know what Intermatic timer would best fit. I know GE makes a digital one but no clue on quality. The GE is model 15136.

- - - Updated - - -

Nevermind, doesn't look like that's what you're trying to do. Hopefully an solar touch owner wanders by for ya soon :)

Thanks for the reply. What I was trying to do is allow the controller to turn on the pump outside the timer window. I finally figured out (late last night, in a 'duh' moment) that all I had to do was wire the controller's relay in parallel to the timer. I did that this morning and it seems to work fine.

The note in the controller installation manual that said that a double pole timer or double pole relay was necessary to do this made me overthink things. (I'm not sure why the manual says that; a single pole timer works too, and I now have the T103 wired using only one pole, since I'm wired for 120v.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.