Info on Zinc Anodes

tnthudson

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2008
Central VA
Hey guys, I noticed at the end of last year (my first using SWG) that my rails and ladder were VERY hard to remove from the pool (almost 'stuck' to the fittings inside the 'holes'), and I did some research on this forum and elsewhere regarding issues with salt and different types of pool fittings.
My PB built the pool without plans for my putting in a SWG, so although he did put in the titanium core heat pump and SS bolts for the ladder and rails, I'm afraid of trouble in the future with the metal fittings inside the 'holes' corroding. I'm also worried about my pool light, and the white painted fittings along the top edge of my pool rail are starting to peel.
I kept my pool balanced per the recommendations here last year, including salt levels.
I guess my question is, is some corrosion (i.e. the white paint peeling) normal?
Secondly, I have seen 'zinc anodes' that are sold to connect to the pool light or ladder rails to 'protect against electrolysis'. Are these worth trying?
Thanks

Paint is always going to peel. Paint doesn't last as long as other parts of the pool. Just about everything else you describe should be just fine for a very long time.

If you want to try a zinc anode, you connect it to the bonding system and bury it in the ground. It is simple enough to try. We don't have much experience with them because they are not normally needed.

I have two pools that had anodes installed by a pool store and long story short, they don't fix bigger problems.

One pool was poorly bonded (especially the lights). The anode was installed to the bonding grid with the generator, pump, etc. The anode oxidizes quite a bit, but so do the lights still. No apparent change.

The other pool has an aquarium installed at one end with a stainless steel faceplate around it. The steel was rusting due to either cheap bolts or exposed rebar. Anode installed, no change.

I think they might be more useful if they're connected directly to whatever might be oxidizing, like the lights in the first pool, but I haven't tried such an installation. And for the second pool, there's really just no fixing poor materials and construction with an anode.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.