Salt instant reading and average always low, salt high

phess1

Mar 25, 2016
Altoona, PA
Hello,
For the last two weeks my Aqua Rite has been showing low salt readings. I have done the recalibrate over and over. The instant reading is always in the 1000's. Of course I added salt without a test, now the salt is high 4500 range. I did a partial drain. Ive been tricking the system to thinking there is enough salt by doing the recalibration and flipping the super chloro switch up at a high number like 4000. I know how the average is calculated but the concern is the instant reading. Water tests show good chlorine levels. Im going to give the cell the bucket test tonight to see if it bubbles, if I can fool the flow switch. Cell is from 2008 so I know its easy to point to that needing replaced. Cell current is always low in the 2's. Voltage 26. Temp 75. Before I replace the cell I just want to make sure its not the control panel and something I can look for there. Ive been all over the forum and have seen some threads about soldering. I have a pool guy that can hopefully let me test another cell first, but having a hard time getting ahold of him. So to summarize.

System instant reading low salt 1000s. Salt level really in 4000s.
Current falls quickly in the 2s.
Cell from 2008 and is clean and believed to be making chlorine when I manually set salt level high enough. This only lasts a day before level falls too low.

I did verify the cell making chlorine with the bucket test and triggering flow. So the question is the low instant salt reading, is it caused by the cell or the control panel. I'm trying to get another cell to test with. Any other suggestions?

Cells generally only last 3-5 years. Sign of a failing cell is reading lower than actual salt levels. Seems like it is time for a new cell.

Pool store can test your cell for you though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.