Cloudy milky water with a SWG

Jun 13, 2016
Heath Springs
I was told by a friend that works in a pool store that my water is cloudy/milky because I'm getting air in my filter/pump. After carefully checking all valves, o-rings, and tightening everything, there is no air getting in. All chemicals are balanced. I've shocked and used a clarifier. Still milky, so much so, I can't see my finger tips when I stick my hand straight down in the water. BUT... I noticed that the water around my titanium electrode (I have a SWG) looks milky. When my SWG is off and the pump is filtering with out making chlorine it is clear. My questions is, do i need to buy a new titanium electrode or is there something else I can do? Please help, I'm in the dog house with my kids!

You test results make it appear very much like algae or other contaminate in the pool. Your FC is terribly low for a CYA of 50: [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] At no time should your FC be less than 4, with 6 being the goal FC level.

Your CCs show its a chemistry problem (at least).

Have you added calcium lately? Your vinyl pool doesn't need calcium so it doesn't need to be added. Calcium can sometimes make water milky for a short period.

Have you added anything else to the water such as algaecide?

Where is Heath Springs?? It helps us know what state you are in because water and climates vary in different areas.

The cloudiness you see while the SWG is creating chlorine is actually chlorine gas and is perfectly normal. I'm assuming that your cell housing is clear and you can see in it. My cell is clear and as long as the SWG is generating chlorine, I see the white chlorine gas rolling off the plates.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The cloudiness you see while the SWG is creating chlorine is actually chlorine gas and is perfectly normal. I'm assuming that your cell housing is clear and you can see in it. My cell is clear and as long as the SWG is generating chlorine, I see the white chlorine gas rolling off the plates.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Carlos, that's correct for inside the SWG, but the OP has a pool full of cloudy water.

I've been working on it since beginning of May. Yes I added algaecide but over a week ago. I did add calcium but over 2 weeks ago. I live in SC. The pool store computer reading say the FC/CC is okay between 1to4 but I don't trust it because I think they try to sell you stuff you don't need. When I turn the SWC off and just run the pump the water starts to clear up, thats why i thought it was the titanium electrode. I'd love not to have to buy another one though

- - - Updated - - -

Carlos,
That's exactly what I thought! Thank you so much for confirming! I've just had problems with this combo filter and have had to replace parts so I just wanted to make sure since this has been going on for about 3 weeks now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's highly unlikely the cloudiness in your pool is from the SWG. The cloudiness in the cell when it's running is the normal production of gas as Carlos mentioned.

You'll be facing a decision very soon. Do I use TFP recommendations or continue listening to the pool $tore? Trouble Free Pool Care (TFPC) as taught here will clear your pool, and it will be safe and sparkly. Your pool is not safe at 1.5 PPM free chlorine and 45 ppm CYA, and when it's cloudy. The pool $tore is wrong, wrong, wrong. Their objectives are different from a pool owner's objectives.

If you decide to go with TFP, order an approved test kit right away. If you then also follow TFPC, you will save back the $70 cost of the test kit before the end of July vs. continuing to listen them. There's easily over a 1,000 threads on this forum that will back this up.

These two numbers - FC 1.2 and CC 1.6 tell the experts here that you're on the path toward a green pool and bacteria growth, if not already there. The experts here will guide you toward a safe, clean, sparkly pool.

And welcome to TFP! Good to have you here and I hope you enjoy it :)

Not sure the brand. It was from the pool store. I'm at the point off draining the whole pool and starting over. We just want to swim!

- - - Updated - - -

I absolutely will trust you guys over the pool store. Just wanted you to know what their computer readings were saying.

That's great to hear. If your test kit is not already on the way, order this one as soon as possible TFTestkits.net

Include the XL option (extra reagents to get you through a clean-up or an extra season, $15). People here love the speedstir ($35) if you don't mind the extra cost. It's optional.
(I have no business interest in TF Test Kits. The Taylor K2006C is also an approved test kit)

Glad you're headed in this direction :)

Whether you drain or not, you NEED your own test kit to keep your pool healthy.

If it were my pool I would drain and start again, after getting the tester so that I could put in ONLY that which it needs and nothing else ;)

And keep testing to monitor it.

Drain and refill is my vote too. You'll be up and running as quick as that job can be done. You can skip the XL option on the test kit in that case, plus some likely headaches as well.

- - - Updated - - -

And less spending on chems to eliminate the cloudiness.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.