Balance Issues after refill

Seal

Jun 10, 2015
Holland, Michigan
Hi! Jumping in here. Not sure where to post. You may have covered this but My head is spinning. I do not remember having such an issue about CYA any time before. My pool was refilled about 1/2 way this spring due to a now repaired tear in liner. Pool was horribly green to start. Used those socks in basket and caught amazing amounts of green algae. Pool looks blue but cloudy. Can't see bottom even in shallow part. Still can see dot at 90 on cya test. I have emptied out water twice to bottom of skimmer. So should be mostly fresh water! Still can see at 90. pH 8.0 easily. Did acid demand test. 8 drops to lower into range. Said see treatment tables (Taylor kit) and they aren't all that helpful. Initially I thought my shock level was 16. Now 35. Impossible amounts of bleach!!! The pool is over 1/2 fresh water. No shock or tablets used. I did use 1 bottle algaecide I had left over from pool company last year when I took cover off to swamp. What am I doing wrong? Was it the algaecide? Does it have that much cya? Can't tell from bottle. Sorry so wordy. Trying to tell you every thing you might need. Appreciate getting set straight. I did so well last year. Already need to reorder cyanuric reagent (by the gallon!).

Last edited:
Thanks for getting me to correct spot to post.
Here are current numbers (some historical)
FC = 11 (added 576 ozs of 8.5% chlorine bleach 2 hours ago). Best level I have gotten.
CC = 0.5
CYA = 90 or higher before I added chlorine 2 hours ago. That was after 2nd time I drained down to skimmer and refilled last night. Nothing had been added to pool since that refill. Total of 1 half refill of pool and two drops down to just where skimmer still gets water.
CYA = 90 or higher. (Overcast about 75 degrees out). Can easily see black dot. Can easily see dot on plain tap water too. CYA in tap water??? That is where it gets confusing. Less I see dot = lower CYA levels correct?
pH = 8.0 (way pinker than 8.0)
acid balance = 8 drops to get to ~ 7.4
TA = 80
CH = 110

- - - Upda

Last edited:
Exactly. I tested tap water to try and see if I was doing something wrong. I could see dot clearly. Which if it had CYA I would have expected a change in ability to see it.
On my pool water it gets a little fuzzy but still easily seen at the 90 point.
Overcast today. Tried indirect sunlight yesterday, holding waist level and not holding tube cya test being done in. Repeated with same solution over and over. Best I can say is dot appears a little smaller and maybe fuzzier bit can see black dot.
Hoping I am misreading something.
I was not sure if I should be working on pH, TA and/or CH. If those were in line would CYA test be working properly?
Not sure where to start. Pool math warns if you change this one thing your pH will go up or down or TA will change etc I am not sure what's right at this time.

Reread CYA testing. If I can see black dot... CYA is zero? I need more CYA not less???

I have been reading article after article trying to make sense of CYA levels. I did not read chamber correctly! Need glasses checked. Thought top number was 80 and totally full tube 90. Top number is 30! I have wasted 2 days and a lot of chlorine.

So my question now is do I try to balance pH etc before slamming pool? Need to put new numbers in pool math calculator.
Sorry, don't mean to waste your time too!

I have been reading article after article trying to make sense of CYA levels. I did not read chamber correctly! Need glasses checked. Thought top number was 80 and totally full tube 90. Top number is 30! I have wasted 2 days and a lot of chlorine.

So my question now is do I try to balance pH etc before slamming pool? Need to put new numbers in pool math calculator.
Sorry, don't mean to waste your time too!
Just to verify, the dot disappeared at the 30 mark and not with the tube full. If at 30 you are good to SLAM the pool (if that is what you are trying to accomplish) if your pH has been adjusted to 7.2.

If the tube was entirely clear then you have no CYA.

The CYA level determines what FC level you need to maintain to carry out the SLAM and then what levels you need to maintain during normal maintenance. Your chlorine was too high so you had some unnecessary loses to sunlight while it was that high, but it was still working on your algae problem. The CYA test is accurate in normal pH ranges (7 to 8.2) and as far as I know, should not be affected by TA or CH unless they are well outside normal ranges.

Time is never wasted on questions here... well on questions that are obviously based on some knowledge of TFP methods and wanting to get your pool better. That's the goal.

Last edited:
We got ya! Been there, done that by many!

When you go to add CYA shoot for only 20 at first in case there is some CYA in the water. Easier to add than to take out.

Now for the CYA testing..........try this-

-fill to first line (100), GLANCE in, if you can still see the dot, fill to the next line. Again GLANCE in, keep going to each line until you come to a line where you cannot see the dot when you GLANCE in. If you stare you will see it LOL

To add your CYA put it in a sock (any kind of sock, the cuter the better hehe) and start squeezing it. Once it is all dissolved let your pump run for about 2 hours and brush the pool real good during this time at least once over.

After the 2 hour or so pump run....test the CYA like I talked about above. Let us know what you find.

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.