Rodent Ramp?

Our pool is within a large fenced yard which is easily accessed by the many squirrels, chipmunks, and mice living in the area. Finding dead mice in the filter basket is a pretty regular occurrence that has never bothered me much, but I am a little bothered by the chipmunks -- I suppose because they are cuter and friendlier.

I've always presumed part of the issue was the suction of the filter. However, I was away over the weekend, leaving the pump off, and came home to find three baby chipmunks floating around. This seems odd to me since the normal water level is within a centimeter of a large set of steps at one end which I would have thought such an animal smart and agile enough to use to escape.

This is obviously not the case though, even with the adult squirrels. Several weeks ago I saw one swimming frantically around and watched it for a while to see how long it took to find the steps. It did, but it did not make any attempt and then avoided the low step in favor of trying to claw its way up the vertical sides -- which was impossible; eventually I had to rescue it with a net.

They aren't doing any damage, but I am now contemplating ways to build a low angle, rough wood surface ramp that can be left somewhere in hopes their little brains and claws will latch on. My guess about the step is that squirrels are not fond of swimming and panic prevented it from trying anything besides paddling and trying to go up a vertical.

Has anyone here done anything like this successfully? I realize a hardtop cover such as people use to prevent the same problem with large pets would work, but this would be a bit of a hassle since I do not want to be taking it on and off all the time and rodents like this probably only last a number of minutes in the water before they exhaust themselves.

I saw a ramp on the internet recently because I was looking for something for our dog. I just went to find a pic of it and saw the Frog Log:

img-froglog1.jpg

That's much better suited to tiny creatures, and it looks like something you could throw together with an old kickboard, some fabric and a rock.

I am rescuing 1-2 live frogs and 2-3 dead ones from my skimmers almost every day. My property backs up to a wetland/creek area. In a month or so we will be be seeing TONS of baby frogs all over the back yard. Each year I am dodging them with the lawnmower.

I found these on Amazon. A little pricey, but if they do the job it will be worth the investment. Plus I won't have to deal with the wife screaming as she opens up a skimmer lid!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Critter-Skim..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=6X89GWXV2R9FG71JPGH4

I've had issues with field mice, not too many this year though, maybe because we've had a good amount of rain. One thing that just came to mind, I wonder if squirrels would be able to cut through the liner with their claws when they are struggling to get out?

I wonder if squirrels would be able to cut through the liner with their claws when they are struggling to get out?

I was surprised about this while watching as they are fairly sharp looking and sometimes nearly an inch long when seen up close. We have mostly black squirrels here but a few grey.

However, the liner feels practically glued onto the concrete, seems sturdy (no damage after eight years, and I'm in Canada so more than a foot of ice can form on top in the winter, albeit with a cover, but I am sure there is some along the sides underneath it). Also those claws would be wet and the squirrel has no leverage.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions gang, that "frog log" concept -- floating pad with some kind of wafting skirt -- looks like a winner.

As a follow up, I ordered and received a "frog log" within a week of my last post here and two months later the death toll is one mouse and a skunk (which was a first -- happened during the day quickly; fortunately it did not release any payload). Pretty amazing considering frogs and mice were previously a very regular occurrence. The people who install pools should provide everyone with something like this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.