Using a Hayward Chlorinator for a DIY bleach feeder

JoeRJGR

Jun 19, 2013
Freehold NJ
I would love to create my own DIY bleach feeder/injector and have read many posts on this topic. I'm wondering if there is any way that I could use my exisiting Hayward Chlorinator to assist in this effort. As most of you know, it draws the water through the feeder and has a control valve on it. Now, I'm sure even at the lowest setting it draws water through way too fast to just draw straight bleach through it and it also would not have much of a storage amount. But what if I added a tank before the inlet side of the chlorinator and was able to use that to add bleach....then use some type of ballcock valve after the chlorinator to further adjust the volume down to a almost a trickle? Now Im not sure how I would be able to measure the flow other then adding ex amount to the tank and see how long before it goes to zero, but that could work....

I was also wondering in my over simplified brain about some type of gravity feed tank with again, some type of ballcock or mechanism that would allow it to just drip a very small amount of bleach at a time. Could you not place a tank on the edge of the pool, secure it well, and allow it to drip bleach in front of one of the return jets?

I know these ideas are overly simplified, but I really only need to use them for the couple weeks per year we will be away on vacation...other then that I have been able to get my wife to dose with chlorine while I am away, and the pool has never looked better!

Thanks....

I would not recommend using the chlorinator. Just for the fact of potentially mixing 2 forms of chlorine (trichlor and bleach) directly together which can be dangerous.

My buttons rarely clog but then again, I am using acid.

The alternative, if you read through the entire thread, is to use a needle valve. Needle Valves

Sometimes you can find these on ebay too.

This is from the people who make the Liquidator.......truth or hype?

THE LIQUIDATOR (WITH 3/8" UPGRADE) is a non-electric automatic chlorinator that will maintain a steady free chlorine level in a pool or spa. It is designed to feed a controlled amount of liquid chlorine into the pool or spa by use of a patented process which allows mineral salts and other dissolved solids to fall out of solution and remain in the unit for disposal.All Chlorine Compounds, when added to water, create hypochlorous acid (HOCl), the killing form of chlorine and hypochlorite ions (OCl), which are relatively inactive. The pH of the water determines what percentage of the chlorine is in the killing form. In most pools and spas that are sanitized with liquid chlorine (Sodium Hypochlorite), the liquid is poured directly into the water or pumped in using a chemical feed pump. This provides the chlorine necessary for sanitation, but it also introduces additional chemical salts that drive the pH up and contributes to the build up of dissolved solids. The Liquidator eliminates this problem by introducing the liquid chlorine in a unique way. First the units tank is partially filled with pool water. Then the liquid chlorine is poured in through a funnel and drop tube, which introduces the chlorine compound to the bottom of the tank, underneath the water.Because the liquid chlorine is heavier than the water, it remains at the bottom of the tank, essentially forming two layers of liquid - the heavier chlorine compound at the bottom and the lighter pool water on the top. With the chlorine under a bed of pool water, most of the odors associated with the use of these chemicals is eliminated.The heavier chemical salts remain in the bottom of the tank, while the chlorinated water is drawn into the pool for sanitation, because most of the potentially corrosive salts remain in the tank, the unit can be safely plumbed into the suction side of the pool equipment.

That's pretty much how mine works.

So you are happy with the Liquidator? No problems with white crud buildup? I go back and forth...look at the Liquidator and think I can do it cheaper, then think about the Stenner pump. Then my concern is that I still have to manually adjust a stenner of liquidator based upon the amount of FC the pool is using that can change based upon temperature....if I am going to have to change the amount of flow ever couple weeks, why not just go witha SWG that will mainain a proper level of FC automatically???

So you are happy with the Liquidator?
Yes

No problems with white crud buildup?
None

Then my concern is that I still have to manually adjust a stenner of liquidator based upon the amount of FC the pool is using that can change based upon temperature
Well yes of course you need to adjust, just like any dosing method that doesn't have an automated chlorine measuring system. Once my Liquidator is dial in, I adjust maybe once a week at most.

if I am going to have to change the amount of flow ever couple weeks, why not just go with a SWG that will mainain a proper level of FC automatically???
Well, I'm no expert on SWCG system, but I would think that most of then also require manual adjustment unless they use some type of instrumentation to measure chlorine level like an ORP probe.

Thanks....Im not an expert either, but I do actually think thats how the SWG systems work. They monitor the amount of Chl in the water and adjust accordingly...How long have you had the Liguidator? I have seen posts from folks with large size pools that have issues, but you've got a fairly large system and works ok for you...thats good to know. Do you still check readings every day? I just want to be able to leave the pool for a week at a time...thats all...!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is not how SWG work. They do not monitor the FC in the water. Unless you add separate sensors and controllers which are not very reliable for outdoor pools.

Edit: I think I misunderstood what "they" was referring to. I thought it was the SWG, but I think now you meant the owners ;)

Hi Jason,

You mean that a SWG system does not monitor the amount of chlorine produced? So it needs to be adjusted based upon temperature, bather load, etc?
Correct. Unless you add automation and extra sensors.

Really it requires very little adjustment once you have it set for a baseline. If you expect a party, easy to add a bottle of bleach before and/or after.

This is my fourth season using the Liquidator. I've seen several people say that a Liquidator can't be used for pools of 20K gallons, but I think that is impression formed back when most people where using the 4 gallon version of the Liquidator. I have been able to go close to 10 days without needing to refill with chlorine, although I would suggest that you use 12.5% chlorine and fill to the max before leaving on a trip. As for testing I do test 3 or 4 times a week, but once the system is dialed in my FC is pretty steady probably could get away with testing less. Adjustments to flow rates are not needed that often, (less that once a week). I have made some changes to my system tossing the flow indicator (it leaked) and adding a pinch valve for more precise flow adjustments. I have my CYA at 50 ppm and keep my FC between 5 and 6 ppm. My pump runs for 6 hours in the afternoon between 12 and 6 pm

Wow - thats impressive....I like the idea of a liquidator or the stenner in the fact that they will pretty much be done after they are dialed in and you know what you have. My fear with going to a SWG system is that after I spend 1,000 to buy it...Im buying flow cells that may or may not work for 3 years..maybe? whow knows? My wife wont flip if I buy $150 of bleach a year, but will if I have to buy a new cell for $500 every 4 years....its a women thing....

My last cell lasted 10 years. If you follow tfp methods and keep the chemistry in check, you should get a similar life span.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.