Question on Stenner numbers

Reddogdan

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 17, 2013
Mansfield, Texas
So I got to test the Stenner while out of town for four days. Pump is a 5gpd running three hours a day with a cya of 70. Got home from DC yesterday and ran my numbers and found an FC of 3. Any ideas.? I had been running the pump from 8am to 11 am. I thought maybe it was going in so slow that the sun was getting it to soon. I changed the times to run from 2am to 5am to see what will happen.

I hope that answers it!

What was your starting FC, and what concentration of chlorine do you have in the tank? A 5gpd (640oz/day) pump running for 3 hours should dispense 80oz/day. If you're using 8.25% bleach, from http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html plugging in your 14.3 gallon pool that should increase FC by 3.7 ppm/day. Here's how I'd verify the setup:

1) Set stenner to inject overnight (just to isolate adding from sun usage; not because it matters usually)

2) Measure FC in the evening before injection

3) Measure FC first thing in the morning after injection. Should be ~3.7ppm higher (depending on concentration)

4) Measure FC the next evening before injection after a sunny day. This tells you the approximate consumption each day.

The FC shouldn't get used up any faster if you inject during the day vs night, but there is preference here for adding chlorine in the evening after the sun goes down so that the higher concentration is present for longer overnight to kill things before the sun starts to deplete. The key is that the FC level right before injection must be above your minimum for your CYA level.

I don't know what my starting FC number was because we were on vacation. I need to do this test today and see what's going on. I got home yesterday from a 3 day trip and the FC was at 1.5. That's with 3 hours and 15 minutes runtime with 8.25 and a CYA of 70. Something is not right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.