A Deep Pool Build in Peoria, AZ -- finished, working on chem balance!

Jun 26, 2014
Peoria, AZ
Pictures and models of the design:

0adnq4Z.jpg

FExb9d9.jpg

BsBeH4l.jpg

9us2d60.jpg

Details about the pool:

IG shotcrete 34x16x21 Grecian L shape
22k~ gallons
3'6 - 8'6 deep
12x5 Baja ledge w/ 2 Bubblers
14 feet of raised beam sheer descent waterfall in stacked travertine
Custom stone diving board
Hayward sand filter
VS pump
Aquarite T-15 SWCG
A&A In floor system w/ Gamma 4 venturi heads
Blue surf Pebble sheen
Travertine paver decking (depending on hard dig)

Cost with local pool builder: ~36k

Instead of a traditional diving board, we opted to create a custom stone one, like the one below.
Pros: Safer because of no spring, never needs replacing, lasts forever, looks pretty cool, takes up much less room (we have a small yard)
Con: No spring/bounce, less fun?

Picture of stone diving board:
Bh1fFrF.jpg

Drawn on ground layout:
wc8PMAy.jpg

Start of dig:

6nZCD5A.jpg

rgn2xPe.jpg

Day of first dig:

Wow, so I signed back at the end of March 2016 and today June 13 they just started digging. Lots of delays with permits and a mess up with the first layout, plus it's the busiest season for pool building. For months I've been fretting about a possible 'hard dig' and the extra thousands of dollars that would have cost because we're digging an 8'6 deep pool. Well thank god, they started digging today and the test dig went down to over 9 feet 4 inches in less than 15 mins :) NO HARD DIG!! Even the diggers were amazed, as my neighbor across the street had a hard dig and many of the houses in this area (near mountains) end up paying much more because of the rocky layers here. I'm counting my blessings! I'm so very happy because that means I can upgrade my decking to travertine pavers now. Yay! :party:

I'll update as the build progresses :)

For anyone curious: My neighbor paid 6k extra for her hard dig, and that was for a rather shallow 5-6ft play pool! So yeah, I was really, really not wanting a hard dig for my 8'6ft pool.

Re: A Deep Pool Build in Peoria, AZ -- it finally started!

Congratulations! Looks like a great design!
I did notice your images show your water feature wall 2 different shapes. One has higher pedestals on the ends and a low wall in the middle, the other has a high point in the middle with low ends. Just make sure they build it whichever way you are expecting.

Smurfy! Can't wait to see the progress. I was looking at your drawing and thought the gallons seemed a bit high. But I see a lower number in your signature which seems more likely. Did you consider a matching bench on the far side in the deep end? I can't recommend that enough. In our similarly designed pool they both get a lot of use, including the standing height benches. You can see pics in my build thread in my signature. Really like the diving board. Ins. co told us more accidents happen because people fall while on the board than from hitting bottom. Make sure the surface is very non-slip while wet. In fact, a non-slip surface was the IC's requirement. Won't apply to you since it's not a diving board but the safety concept is the same.

Congratulations! Looks like a great design!
I did notice your images show your water feature wall 2 different shapes. One has higher pedestals on the ends and a low wall in the middle, the other has a high point in the middle with low ends. Just make sure they build it whichever way you are expecting.

Good catch! Yes the water feature design went through a few changes before we decided on what to do. I'm still not sure which one we should go with, but it'll be one of those, lol :) Which do you like better?

Smurfy! Can't wait to see the progress. I was looking at your drawing and thought the gallons seemed a bit high. But I see a lower number in your signature which seems more likely. Did you consider a matching bench on the far side in the deep end? I can't recommend that enough. In our similarly designed pool they both get a lot of use, including the standing height benches. You can see pics in my build thread in my signature. Really like the diving board. Ins. co told us more accidents happen because people fall while on the board than from hitting bottom. Make sure the surface is very non-slip while wet. In fact, a non-slip surface was the IC's requirement. Won't apply to you since it's not a diving board but the safety concept is the same.

I'm not sure which gallon is closer, I've seen different numbers, one from the engineers and one from the pool software. I think you're right though, and it's probably closer to the lower 22k gal. I'm not sure if making a parallel bench would intrude into the diving envelope. But pretty sure my PB would charge an arm and a leg at this point to change or add anything in the pool itself, so we'll most likely leave it as is. I've seen your build before, it's awesome! And yes, we'll have to find a way to add some sort of treading to the top of the board to make it slip resistant.

Forgot to post colors for the pool:

6x6 inch Royal Sea Blue Tile
ygFc050.jpg

Smurf blue pebble sheen!
xLe0l3y.jpg

Stacked travertine face
ZW4BysC.jpg

Will also be choosing a light colored travertine paver for decking soon too :)

Pics of the finished dig, 9.5 ft deep!

JQ7to0u.jpg

Chm5WR4.jpg

WLKQpaj.jpg

mm5Les5.jpg

Update: Plumbing and steel finished! They finished both within 2 days, and pre-shocrete inspection came by today too. I think we passed.

bm8h43R.jpg

tCWe90H.jpg

VU9QOot.jpg

nIZxv2w.jpg

Now for electric to be done on Monday, and shotcrete soon after :)

Looks great!! It's going to look even better really soon. They shot mine yesterday morning and it's amazing how much more "real" it all seems when gunite is done. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

As an additional side project we decided to remove our freakishly huge 8ft x 8ft sliding door leading out to our back yard and replace it with some custom 8ft x 8ft triple french doors. And let me tell you, these things were not easy to find in this size. The Home Depot rep laughed at me on the phone because apparently the only doors they regularly sell in that size are garage doors unless I paid almost 3k to put in a custom order through them. Luckily I found a small family owned door maker in Phoenix and got these beauties made for much much cheaper :) +1 Local Businesses!

The problem with the original sliding doors was that it was not adhering to the local pool code for a household with children under the age of 7. We would have had to install some odd machine onto the sliding door to make them self-closing AND self latching slide doors. It was all very annoying to deal with, especially because our slide doors were larger and heavier than normal and would need a stronger system. Needless to say, I was not interested in some self closing contraption on my doors that had no safety to prevent it from force sliding on my 3 year olds little fingers. Also I heard they're prone to breaking. So we tore out the slider for french doors, with self-closing hinges and a reversed deadbolt/latch that follows pool safety code.

Some pics for those interested:

The original 8x8 sliding doors, I forgot to take a closer picture before

2RFPIIK.jpg

Mid-install:

ObwSELY.jpg

Done:
ntuwmP8.jpg

YblAm9v.jpg

Just needs some paint to match the rest of the house's trim :) I'm pretty pleased with the result!

^Very nice. Those are beautiful doors. I like the door handle up high where the kids can't open it. Just make sure your kids can get out another way in case of an emergency.

Shasta pools just told me that I need a door alarm (I'm also putting in a removable fence) for the door. They didn't say I needed the door to be self closing. I'll have to look into that since I'm in Peoria also.

Shotcrete guys started setting up at just shy of 5:30am :suspect: My neighbors are probably not too happy. The guys were super fast too, finished the entire job in 5 hours or less. So fast that I didn't even have time to take in-progress pics. Here's the finished shell though :)

xGCzL7Q.jpg

Xx7itnZ.jpg

Fa2h1Zl.jpg

Quick question guys:

For Travertine Paver decking, what's a better base for AZ climate: Sand base or Concrete? I know sand has Pros in that it's easy to repair things underneath? But Concrete would stop weed growth?

It seems my PB is still planning on pouring a concrete base down, but I'm wondering if I should stop them and just do a sand base instead for the pavers?

Thoughts?

Concrete would form a great base, but wouldn't drain unless you cored or left a sleeve in at the low points. Concrete would be harder to deal with if you ever had to expose anything underneath for repair.

Sand would allow movement and drainage, but may need periodic maintenance due to differential settlement. I've got both situations. They'll be setting the tiles in sand overtop of my existing P-T patio slab, and the rest on just DG and sand. I'm going to ask that they lay rolled roofing felt down as a weed block before the DG gets placed and compacted. Also, polymeric sand, if used in the joints, is not conducive to weed or moss growth.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.