huge water parks!

nlindelldc

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
We went to Schlitterbahn yesterday and the amount of water being used in that place is a site to behold.

I got to thinking that if i obsess over my home pool as much as I do, I cannot imagine that capacity multiplied by hundreds of thousands of gallons. And I am curious to know if anybody has any insights as to to how they do it.

I know commercial swimming pools are regulated much differently than private swimming pools, and I'm sure it's a whole new ball game. This water park is absolutely massive. I know the original Schliiterbahn in New Branfels uses river water from the Comal but the new Schlitterbahn on Padre Island obviously does not.

thoughts?

LegoLand California has a new water park. Hundreds of thousands of gallons of water. While the pumping room and control systems are a sight to behold, hand testing of FC and pH is required every 2 hours and each separate water attraction has a "shutdown period" everyday where the pool and water samples are tested for fecal coliform. If results are positive, then the pool must be shutdown and remediated. CA regs can be found here -

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/HealthInfo/environhealth/water/Documents/RecHealth/Title%2022,%20Chapter%2020,%20Sections%2065501-65551.pdf

LegoLand California has a new water park. Hundreds of thousands of gallons of water. While the pumping room and control systems are a sight to behold, hand testing of FC and pH is required every 2 hours and each separate water attraction has a "shutdown period" everyday where the pool and water samples are tested for fecal coliform. If results are positive, then the pool must be shutdown and remediated. CA regs can be found here -

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/HealthInfo/environhealth/water/Documents/RecHealth/Title%2022,%20Chapter%2020,%20Sections%2065501-65551.pdf

Wow, chlorine gas, huh? That would make sense

On my last visit, I never gave it much thought because of it being fed by the river. But when I go to Six Flags, oooh, I feel like I may need a booster-shot afterwards. :) They must have some massive chlorination systems.

I think I know what you mean. Last year, we went to Six Flags Fiesta in San Antonio. The river raft style rides are always one of my favorites, but THAT one made me feel icky and sticky wherever the water touched me. Eww!

As someone who grew up near San Antonion, let me just say that the old part of Schlitterbahn with the river water is so much more fun than the chlorinated concrete jungle and blistering heat that is the new section of the park.

Or maybe I'm just old and have fond memories. My wife and I went there 2 summers ago because she had never been, and that was the way I felt about it.

But I do always wonder how they manager water on a scale like that. Or rather, how they mismanage it. I've got a water feature thing in a city park outside my office, and kids are always playing in it, and it smells like chlorine so bad I can smell it across the street.

About 6 years ago there was massive flooding on the Comal River and Schlitterbahn was closed for several days. We had scheduled out annual trip for the week after the flood. Some of the rides were still closed. One of the closed rides we walked past was at least 12 feet higher than the river bank, and it had lots of flood debris still in the chute. We walked past one of the service sheds and it was piled high with filthy cartridges that looked to be 4' tall and 2' around. There had to be 100 of them piled up. I wish I had taken a picture, it was quite impressive. They may use natural river water, but it is filtered and pumped into the various rides in the original section of the park. I enjoy the old section far more than the newer part. I love all the natural shade from the trees and the breezes from the river that you don't get on the new side of the park.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.