JUST got TF-100 HELP please

May 31, 2016
Lynchburg, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
OK, so I just received my TF-100 XL kit. I used the OTO test, 5 drops of each. The Chlorine side looked like it stayed clear & the PH looked like it was the lowest color 6.8. Do I need to do any of the other tests before trying to get the PH right. I know I am going to need to SLAM the pool as I have been fighting Algea all year so far.

Congrats on the kit! Yes, start with getting pH right. Test for TA then use PoolMath to estimate the volume needed to raise pH to 7.4. Because your pH shows 6.8, it could actually be much lower since the test stops there. Your TA may be low as well.

If TA is low, use washing soda or soda ash to raise both TA and pH. If TA is okay (>50), use borax to raise pH. Once you add, wait 30 minutes then retest pH. It may take a few additions to bring it up to 7.2-7.4 then start your slam! Good luck.

So, if I am looking at this & the PoolMath right. Run to wally world & get a box of 20 Mule & add 58 OZ then wait 30 minutes & test again. Then if PH is good following SLAM directions?

Assume 60. Add just over 3 lbs of borax then retest your TA. "Borax is available as 20 Mule Team® Borax Natural Laundry Booster. It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. Borax is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return."

As the others have said, while that circulates complete the rest of the test then retest pH (min. 30 minutes after borax).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chlorine 0
PH 6.8 OR lower
TA 60
Calcium Hardness 75
CYA 35 ish

Going to Wally World to get the 20 Mule Borax. Anything else to pick up while there?

- - - Updated - - -

So don't add the Borax water mix thru the skimmer?

Is Wally World Walmart? If so, stock up on 10% pool chlorinating liquid, found by the pool chemicals. Should be $2.50/bottle. Or, stock up on 8.25% bottles of bleach (unscented and not the spashless kind). I'd say grab about 8 bottles. You don't want to run out when you start SLAMing.

Yes Wally World is Wal-Mart I think I have about 10 of those jugs of 10% Chlorine on hand

- - - Updated - - -

Since I am above ground & Vinyl I don't really need to worry about my Calcium Hardness being 75 right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.