JUST got TF-100 HELP please

OK PH came up to 7.5. I haven't added or changed anything so the rest of my numbers should still be the same right?
Chlorine 0
PH 7.5
TA 60
Calcium Hardness 75
CYA 35 ish

So, I'm starting SLAM following Chlorine/CYA chart using 40 (rounding up) for CYA & used 1 1/2 gallons 10% Chlorine. Will test again in an hr & go from there.

OK, after 1 hour I tested & if I did it right
FC 21.5-22
CC 0.5

Do I need to do anything right now or do I need to wait. Does it matter that the location of the pool will have it covered by shadow from the house entirely in about 30 minutes or so?

Ok, call your TA 70 for what it is worth. PH is a touch high, but should not be an issue. If your SLAM gets extended someone may advise to add a small amount of muriatic acid, but that can all wait for now (pH tests are invalid when FC is >10).

What was your FC target? At CYA of 40, your target should be 16. No problems at 22 but next doses should be to get to 16 only. A few points higher is fine, but anything more and it basically is all lost to the sun or is of little value. If you dosed right, your pool might be a little smaller than 7600 gallons.

What you can do now is brush. Brush as often as you can, definitely the more the better. Shadows will help protect the FC from the sun. Keep up the good work.

Update - Oh and time to update that signature now that you are a pro with that TF-100!!

Ok, call your TA 70 for what it is worth. PH is a touch high, but should not be an issue. If your SLAM gets extended someone may advise to add a small amount of muriatic acid, but that can all wait for now (pH tests are invalid when FC is >10).

What was your FC target? At CYA of 40, your target should be 16. No problems at 22 but next doses should be to get to 16 only. A few points higher is fine, but anything more and it basically is all lost to the sun or is of little value. If you dosed right, your pool might be a little smaller than 7600 gallons.

What you can do now is brush. Brush as often as you can, definitely the more the better. Shadows will help protect the FC from the sun. Keep up the good work.

Update - Oh and time to update that signature now that you are a pro with that TF-100!!

LOL I have been trying to find how to edit signature again ALL DAY, I figured I'd finf it when I quit looking for it. Yes, my FC target was 16. 148 OZ 10% So basically 1.5 gallons. I eye balled the 1/2 gallon.

I must have something figured wrong. I add the amount of bleach indicated from the calculator & then when I test an hour later the FC reading is WAY higher than I am expecting. 2 hours later it's fairly close to what I was targeting. The only thing I can think of is my water volume is less because I have the skimmer in so it's not as full as it would be without it. Any other ideas?

Did you select the correct % in Pool Math?

You could try using 7000 gallons in the calculator, and rounding down at to the nearest quart until you figure out your volume exactly.

Pool Math is an excellent way to do that, by the way.

A little over is wasteful, a lot over is damaging to equipment and surfaces. One time crazy overshoot isn't going to ruin anything. Being 3 times SLAM level for a few days is a different story.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So latest test is showing about 4 hrs after having added any 10% bleach
FC 12
CC 1
Am I on target? Pool is UBER green but I expected that after having brushed the sides this morning before I added bleach.
I'm noticing if I let my sample sit for a few minutes after doing CC test that it goes back slight pink. Does this mean I didn't add enough R-0871? So my results are off?

Your on target, just raise to get back to 16 and keep it up. Keep brushing, testing and dosing FC and the green will start to fade off. It is especially important to keep the FC up now because there is a lot of algae in there multiplying quickly. Raising your FC to 16 wins you battle, keeping it at 16 will win you the war and return your pool to you!

For what its worth, I usually only check my CC sporadically during a Slam and just focus on the FC. I thought you pool volume estimate might have a been a little high yesterday, this is a good time to dial it in by testing before and 30 minutes after FC addition and see where its at - just like you are doing.

I add my borax, baking soda and CYA through the skimmer (not premixed, not at the same time). Any issues with this?

Never add them to the skimmer. You can clog a line or the chemistry of the water in the lines changes significantly when you add to the skimmer and can ruin your equipment. Best to pre-mix baking soda and borax in a bucket and pour in front of a return then brush the pool bottom nearby to make sure nothing settles. CYA is put in a sock and dangled in front of a return, squeeze the sock a few times a day.

You should always pour chlorine slowly in front of a return for best mixing. If for whatever reason that is not possible, you should brush the entire pool after adding to mix well.

I'd had figured going thru the skimmer & having the pump suck it into the filter then pushed into the pool would mix it up well. It was just my thinking, plus trying to make sure I didn't end up bleaching a singulular spot on the floor of the pool lol

Putting a gallon of bleach in a skimmer that only holds a couple of gallons and going to a pump and filter that hold a couple of gallons results in ridiculously high chlorine levels in your pool equipment. Not for long, but over time it will take a toll. Pouring it slowly in front of a pool return should result in nothing settling to the bottom and the bleach getting quickly dispersed into the body of the pool water.

For example, 1 gallon of 8.25% bleach in 100 gallons of pool water result in 849 ppm FC level.

Yes Wally World is Wal-Mart I think I have about 10 of those jugs of 10% Chlorine on hand

- - - Updated - - -

Since I am above ground & Vinyl I don't really need to worry about my Calcium Hardness being 75 right?

We just got done clearing up our unused (for 3 years) swamp that we inherited with our home purchase. We went through over 20 gallons of the Walmart 10% bleach before we got rid of the algae. Now, I'm using about 8-9 cups every other day to keep FC around 4. I'd also get a metal brush head if you don't have one yet - it worked wonders in getting rid of stubborn algae/dirt stains from the wall.

Had to replace my brush. I had gotten a Clorox one from Wally world that when it received a little bit of pressure against it would come loose from my pole, so I had only brushed the walls this morning. I had to use a curtain rod to fish the brush out 4 times, so I didn't even try to brush the bottom. With new brush I JUST finished brushing walls & floor. FC was 16 when I started brushing & entire pool is now in shade I figure I'll test again in like 2 hours to see if it has dropped any & if so I'll bring it back up to 16 & check it in the morning. At this point with not being able to see but a few inches below the surface am I better to blindly brush or blindly vacuum or both? I seem to have most of the leaves out as I am not finding but a few pieces here & there unlike last week when I was bring them up by the skimmer full. I'll try to get a picture posted, nothing to get jealous about here lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.