Pool Cove Kit?

jj

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
What is a Pool Cove Kit?
I'm wondering if I had known what one was, would I have wanted one in my small, cold pool:)
Oh, and also a Wall Foam Kit?
I've clicked on their descriptions but they don't tell me.
Thanks, jenn

Cove is a rounded transition between the walls and the floor. It can be made out of sand or foam. The kit is the foam version.

Wall foam goes between the wall and the liner and makes for a softer wall more forgiving and provides some insulation so the pool doesn't lose quite so much heat through the walls.

JasonLion said:
Cove is a rounded transition between the walls and the floor. It can be made out of sand or foam. The kit is the foam version.

Wall foam goes between the wall and the liner and makes for a softer wall more forgiving and provides some insulation so the pool doesn't lose quite so much heat through the walls.

Cove.... yes, I read that in the description....for what reason?

Wall Foam.... oh, I thought I might have wanted that:)

Every AGP has the cove, whether it is sand or the new foam is the only choice.

I believe it has to do with the liner in keeping it supported and from stretching.

mtbarr64 said:
Every AGP has the cove, whether it is sand or the new foam is the only choice.

I believe it has to do with the liner in keeping it supported and from stretching.

Maybe I didnt ask the right question. Why and when would you need a cove kit?

The foam cove is used in place of a sand cove. Some people use it because it is easier to get a uniform cove around the pool. The function of a cove is to keep the liner from being pushed under the pool wall. I personally use mason sand for the cove and for the floor of an above ground pool. You will hear pros and cons to both sand and foam so you just have to decide if it is worth the extra expense over sand.

Using either sand or the cove kit is your choice. They both do the same thing. The cove kits do not lose their shape, whereas sand can shift.

Besides I am not that good at forming sand into a perfectly uniform shape, so using the foam is a heck of a lot quicker and easier for me. :)

Here are a couple more points of view. I love preformed pool cove for installations on concrete or tile. They are ideal for indoor displays. When used on a pool set on dirt, like most outdoor pools, I find them very awkward to work with. The ground needs to be extremely flat, firm and smooth for them to fit properly and not become an installation pain. I much prefer a small amount of packed dirt covered with six inches of sand.

The selling point behind them is that they will never wash out, a valid point. A leak in the cove area could wash out the sand causing the liner to burst. This would not happen with preformed pool cove.

Lots of pros and cons.

Dennis

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jj said:
Why and when would you need a cove kit?

I think the When part of this has gone unanswered... we sometimes assume folks know more than they do! (And if you already know this, please forgive my reverse assumption!!)

Jenn, you put the cove in after the walls are up, but before the liner. It gives you a little slope up from the floor to the wall, instead of being a straight hard 90* corner.

Geez, I love this forum. Thank you for the info. All of it.

I'm not always stupid just skeptical:) Hub says we have the cove. I'm not sure and he wasn't here when they were installing it. I thought I'd be able to tell if we did. But the walls go straight down (to me).

We had a Father/Son team install it (recommended by the local store we bought it from). Sooo...it's fine now, third summer, but I wanted to be sure I knew what we needed in case we ever have to 'redo' it.

Dennis, we did have to put it on a slab, as we live on a rock, on a mountain, in the woods. How many more obstacles could you want, huh?

Mermaid, thank you! You are so totally right. So many times the question is much simpler than the answer. That was what I was wondering. I had read the 'sell it to me description', but didn't know what it was for or when I would need it.

Thank you all, jenn

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.