Connecting 2 corrugated filter hoses with barbed insert x insert coupling

Runningfan

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 27, 2013
Southwestern Indiana
Hi,

I'm looking for advice on how to connect two corrugated filter hoses together to make a hose long enough to connect my skimmer to my pump. The previous owner used a barbed insert x insert coupling (attached image) to connect the two old hoses (attached image) I need to replace.

I've tried putting a hose on either end of the coupling, but I can only get the hose up to the first one or two barbs/ridges of the coupling, and not all the way on. This is not tight enough to prevent the connection from leaking (even with magic wrap pipe tape plus a clamp at both ends - I am getting desperate!)

Does anyone have advice on what I should use to get the hose all the way on the barbed connection? Should I just use some sort of lubricant? If so, what type should I buy? Should I use primer and glue? The guy at the hardware store said I wouldn't need that, but now I'm starting to wonder... I also saw someone mention on another post to try using boiling water or a hair dryer to heat up the ends to make the connection easier. Would that be sufficient to get them connected and secured, or would I also need to use some sort of sealant?

Hose:

hose.jpg

Coupling:

coupling.jpg

Any advice would be much appreciated!

You have to get it all the way on. Try dipping the end of your hose in boiling water for a few seconds before sliding in the barbed connector. You also need to use hose clamps.

-dave

Thanks again for your suggestion. By using the boiling water trick, I was able to get the hoses all the way on the barbed connector! I secured a hose clamp on either side, and started the pump back up. However, there is still a slight leak at the connection. Is there something else I can utilize to completely seal that connection so that no water comes out? Should I use some sort of adhesive or sealant in addition to the hose clamps? Or will I just have to live with a small leak?

Add another hose clamp to each side.

I don't know what kind of rubber/plastic that is, so I dont really know what would seal it. RTV seal from an auto supply, or silicone adhesive may do the trick, but then it again, it may not, depending on what the hose is made of. Really though, using two hose clamps on each end may be the way to go.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.