Patched the leak now SLAM and balance (or vice-versa)?

John85

Jun 4, 2016
Saint Louis, MO
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello,
I patched my leak (here: Maybe a leak?), and was away for a few days so I couldn't check levels, etc. (but the patch held so that's great). I ran my battery of tests this morning and got the following results (27.4k SWG pool):

FC: 10ppm
CC: .5ppm
pH: 8.2 (off bc of FC?) (Acid demand test 2 drops to 7.5)
TA: 100 (turned on 4th drop of 10ml sample)
CYA: 73ppm
CH: 50ppm (turned on 2nd drop in 10 ml sample)

Salt: SWG shows 3200 ppm, Aquacheck test strip showed 2390 ppm)

My salt and CYA had been high but the leak apparently fixed that (blessing in disguise). ? Should I drop my pH (adding 1-1.5 qt Muriatic Acid) then SLAM?

Also I'm wondering about return fittings, differences in diameter, type, positioning, etc. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on this.

Hello John. So I guess what we need to confirm first is ....... do you have (or suspect) algae? If so, definitely let the FC drop slightly so you can perform an accurate pH test and adjustment, then increase your FC to SLAM level which for you right now appears to be 28. After passing the SLAM, then you can adjust anything else as required. If you're not sure you have algae, you can do an overnight (OCLT) test tonight and base your next step on those results in the morning.

If you are sure you have nothing in the water, then simply let the FC fall to your target range of about 8 and press-on with normal chemistry. The good thing is that you have a good test kit and can implement either course of actions based on what you see and test on your own. 100% control.

Thanks TS. Yes on algae and FC has since dropped so I checked pH and added about 1 1/3 qt Muriatic Acid to drop pH and retest, then will SLAM (not a lot of Algae, maybe one day is enough?). I guess the key is checking FC regularly (3 hrs often enough?) and getting a clear OCLT test?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.